Anti static wrist guard

When building a computer at home, do you find it necessary to use an anti static wrist guard?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No, I ground myself by touching other objects during construction.

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • No, I don't use any static protection.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

richdrizzy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
always in you best interest to be ESD safe, you don't want to kill your pc components by shocking them, better safe than sorry

i get these at my job for free ;), just clamp to your case or to a ground

you could also wear ESD safe gloves

houdinii

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
huh didn't know there was such a thing. im about to get ready to order all my parts and im scared now lol.

for $3.50 y not but what do they clip on the case? and what is the case suppose to be sitting on?

what about those anti static mats (25"x25") that are like 19.00 bucks are those used with the wrist guard or instead of? and what you set the case on it and then clamp it to the case?

richdrizzy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
you can clip anywhere on the case thats metal

keep the case off carpet and don't stand on carpet while working with ESD sensitive components

for the most part just by touching the case while your working on the insides with no strap or gloves is sufficient to ground yourself to prevent static

but to be safe i wear ESD safe gloves when i work on my PC

mats really not necessary unless you need to lay things on it like a GPU or ram, things like that

houdinii

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

richdrizzy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
yea its not too exspensive.. $20 for a mat is kinda much tho, if u need to work on something just use the any ESD bag, like the one used to hold your motherboard

sprunth

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I always use an anti-static mat and wriststrap, on wood floor. I got the pair for like $7-8 at Frys, not a bad investment, esp considering the cost the computer parts. -_-

Although, side note, I have a friend who's built 3 of his $2k+ gaming rigs all on carpet without antistatic equipment. >.<

TRENDING THREADS