Newbie home builder

MissyMe83

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Hi All,
This is my first home build. I finally got all the pieces yesterday and when I was done, the computer didn't start. Not a hum, nothing. Checked that the cabling was accurate and it seems so, but I'm just not sure if the problem is the PSU or the mobo. I am a student taking classes to become A+ certified, so I'm a bit embarassed. I feel I should know this already. Due to take my A+ in a few weeks. Anyhow, here's what I used:

-MSI 790XT-G45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
-AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Model
-SPARKLE SFPX94GT1024U2 GeForce 9400 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
-Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
-G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

The hard drive is one which was purchased only 6 months ago and I already made sure it was compatible with the new system. Since it's my first time, I appreciate all the feedback you can give. I've never troubleshooted power problems before. Thanks everyone!!

Solution
There's a troubleshooting checklist in my signature that was created to troubleshoot problems like this. Let us know how it goes after you've performed every step in the checklist.

MissyMe83

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010

Tried the tutorial to no avail. But how do I know which is dead the mobo or the PSU? I don't have another PSU with the required voltage to test the mobo, and no multimeter to check the PSU... I don't think its the CPU, I mean the fans won't even move.

MissyMe83

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Sorry I didn't answer sooner, I've just been busy. But I did try the techniques to troubleshoot the power supply. It was working properly, so the only logical conclusion is that the motherboard was DOA.

Thanks for all your help ya'll. :)