Sign in with
Your question

How to connect internet from one laptop to another

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 2, 2010 9:17:24 AM

Hello, sible that i connect one laptop to internet with LAN cable/broadband although i have wifi in my laptop but as i dont have wi fi connection or wireless router i connect to internet using lan cable.
next i want to connect another laptop to th einternet using the wifi of first laptop that is already connected to internet.my both lap top have wifi.
June 2, 2010 12:50:09 PM

Sounds like you want to create an adhoc wireless network between your two laptops and bridge the wireless and wired on the laptop with both connections. I've done this going from wireless to wired but not the other way around. Maybe someone that's done this before can describe how it's done..
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 3, 2010 6:14:36 AM

panto said:
Sounds like you want to create an adhoc wireless network between your two laptops and bridge the wireless and wired on the laptop with both connections. I've done this going from wireless to wired but not the other way around. Maybe someone that's done this before can describe how it's done..

[#0005ff]Sadly the laptop which holds the connection can receive wireless through its dongle but cannot transmit it. The two would therefore have to linked by ethernet cable. [/#000ff]
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2010 1:37:54 PM

This may be a dumb question but aren't all wi-fi adapters transceivers? how can it only receive and not transmit - there's no network if an interface cannot sent?

I assumed he was using the built-in wireless that comes with all modern laptops, not necessarily a dongle..
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 3, 2010 3:16:50 PM

panto said:
This may be a dumb question but aren't all wi-fi adapters transceivers? how can it only receive and not transmit - there's no network if an interface cannot sent?

I assumed he was using the built-in wireless that comes with all modern laptops, not necessarily a dongle..

[#0005ff]You're quite right and it may be possible to do it in an ad hoc manner but I can't quite see how. I misunderstood the request completely.[/#000ff]
m
l
July 27, 2012 3:15:18 AM

Quote:
Hello, sible that i connect one laptop to internet with LAN cable/broadband although i have wifi in my laptop but as i dont have wi fi connection or wireless router i connect to internet using lan cable.
next i want to connect another laptop to th einternet using the wifi of first laptop that is already connected to internet.my both lap top have wifi.

Did u got the solution for this???
m
l
July 30, 2012 4:00:46 AM

I've used a program called "connectify" to do this before. Just use the "Lite" version, it will turn the computer connected by LAN cable into a access point for you. There may be better software out there, this is just one I've happened to stumble upon. You can find it here: http://www.connectify.me/?refid=
m
l
!