Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What is the best CPU (Processor) upgrade I can get?

Last response: in CPUs
August 17, 2010 6:49:09 PM

What is the best CPU (Processor) upgrade I can get for my Dell Dimension E510 [Please Read]. Sorry to burden you guys with a old pc question, but I am curious and would like your help if you have time. As of right now I have a Dell Dimension e510 with a high quality 400 watt PSU made by Corsair. I have a ATI 512MB 4670 graphics card. I also have 4 GB of RAM. My current CPU is a Intel Pentium 4 630 HT 3.00 GHz Prescott. The CPU has a Socket 775 LGA. Front Side Bus is 800 MHz. I never upgraded my motherboard, never plan too, and I rather not. I am just looking for a better (the best) CPU to upgrade to. Does anyone know what is the best CPU I can upgrade to without upgrading my motherboard. I know I will not be able to upgrade to a duel core and anything above that. But I heard that some people with Dell E510s were able to update to a fast Pentium D processor. Would I be able to upgrade to a Pentium D processor even though I have a Pentium 4 right now? Will my 400 watt power supply be enough to handle a faster CPU (the link of my power supply is below)? Can it be any Pentium D processor or does it have to be a Prescott. Tell me the fastest and best CPU I can upgrade too. Would I have to buy a new heat sink or can I just clean out my old heat sink and reuse it. I know I will have to re apply the thermal grease. I put some links of people in these forums upgrading their CPU in a Dell E510, that might help you guys answer my question (I was not to sure about those because they all ready had Pentium Ds, while I only have a Pentium 4). If I cannot upgrade to a Pentium D that is better than my processor, what better Pentium 4 can I upgrade too? If you can give me a specific link to the processor that would my really cool, but the processor name and maybe with the spec information would be nice too. I rather not take a chance on trying a new processor to see if it works because I will probably have to try Ebay or Amazon.com, and very few accept returns. Let me know if you guys need any more kind of information.

Link of my PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Links of other people upgrading there Dell E510 CPUs (there are more out there): http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3...

More about : cpu processor upgrade

a c 159 à CPUs
August 17, 2010 7:26:18 PM

Hi.

The best way to know the exactly CPU that u can upgrade is with the DELL support and the service tag or ur rig.
m
l
August 17, 2010 7:53:14 PM

i tried that but dell only shows that i can upgrade to the processor i all ready have
m
l
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
August 17, 2010 8:01:25 PM

Not the DELL web page, contact with the DELL chat support that can give u a better reply.
m
l
August 17, 2010 8:15:42 PM

eh i gotta pay for a warranty renewal. wont let me chat.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
August 17, 2010 8:19:56 PM

Try I do the same with all the rigs in my company and they give me support without problems.
m
l
August 17, 2010 8:28:34 PM

i tried, when i click it says ,"our records shows us that you no longer have warranty with dell, go here blah blah blah to renew, blah blah blah.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
August 17, 2010 8:38:38 PM

Ok, let me check if I can find something about the CPU upgrade.
m
l

Best solution

August 17, 2010 8:40:44 PM

Found this:
Quote:
I was actually informed that if I upgrade my BIOS, I can upgrade to a Pentium D. So the best processor I can stick in my system would be a Pentium D 960 3.4Ghz Dual Core"

The Intel chipset (945g) will NOT support Core2Duos....so the pentium D is your best option. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS from Dell (A07).
August 17, 2010 8:52:59 PM

singingigo said:
Found this:
Quote:
I was actually informed that if I upgrade my BIOS, I can upgrade to a Pentium D. So the best processor I can stick in my system would be a Pentium D 960 3.4Ghz Dual Core"

The Intel chipset (945g) will NOT support Core2Duos....so the pentium D is your best option. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS from Dell (A07).

cpu z says i already have the a07 bios. do you know the fastest Pentium D will work with my model. i have a 0WG262 model motherboard btw. i bought my computer in the summer of 2006.
m
l
August 21, 2010 7:53:16 AM

hi guys. i am in some what the same boat as the original poster. i have a Dell 5150 with a Pentium IV, i think it's a 2.8 GHz. i've toyed with the idea of building my own custom box, but i might actually be a year or more from tackling that so in the meantime i thought it would be nice if I could pimp this Dell out some more. the logical next step for me and this Dell is a processor upgrade. there is so much mumbo-jumbo already out on the net about upgrading processors so for me it's pretty tough to know exactly what will work and what won't.
m
l
August 21, 2010 7:55:00 AM

from what i've found the Pentium D 960 is discontinued.
m
l
June 15, 2011 2:04:00 PM

Best answer selected by Shpati.
m
l
!