Solved

What is the best CPU (Processor) upgrade I can get?

What is the best CPU (Processor) upgrade I can get for my Dell Dimension E510 [Please Read]. Sorry to burden you guys with a old pc question, but I am curious and would like your help if you have time. As of right now I have a Dell Dimension e510 with a high quality 400 watt PSU made by Corsair. I have a ATI 512MB 4670 graphics card. I also have 4 GB of RAM. My current CPU is a Intel Pentium 4 630 HT 3.00 GHz Prescott. The CPU has a Socket 775 LGA. Front Side Bus is 800 MHz. I never upgraded my motherboard, never plan too, and I rather not. I am just looking for a better (the best) CPU to upgrade to. Does anyone know what is the best CPU I can upgrade to without upgrading my motherboard. I know I will not be able to upgrade to a duel core and anything above that. But I heard that some people with Dell E510s were able to update to a fast Pentium D processor. Would I be able to upgrade to a Pentium D processor even though I have a Pentium 4 right now? Will my 400 watt power supply be enough to handle a faster CPU (the link of my power supply is below)? Can it be any Pentium D processor or does it have to be a Prescott. Tell me the fastest and best CPU I can upgrade too. Would I have to buy a new heat sink or can I just clean out my old heat sink and reuse it. I know I will have to re apply the thermal grease. I put some links of people in these forums upgrading their CPU in a Dell E510, that might help you guys answer my question (I was not to sure about those because they all ready had Pentium Ds, while I only have a Pentium 4). If I cannot upgrade to a Pentium D that is better than my processor, what better Pentium 4 can I upgrade too? If you can give me a specific link to the processor that would my really cool, but the processor name and maybe with the spec information would be nice too. I rather not take a chance on trying a new processor to see if it works because I will probably have to try Ebay or Amazon.com, and very few accept returns. Let me know if you guys need any more kind of information.

Link of my PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

Links of other people upgrading there Dell E510 CPUs (there are more out there): http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19301118.aspx

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19261355/19445431.aspx#19445431
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what processor upgrade
  1. Hi.

The best way to know the exactly CPU that u can upgrade is with the DELL support and the service tag or ur rig.
  2. i tried that but dell only shows that i can upgrade to the processor i all ready have
  3. Not the DELL web page, contact with the DELL chat support that can give u a better reply.
  4. eh i gotta pay for a warranty renewal. wont let me chat.
  5. Try I do the same with all the rigs in my company and they give me support without problems.
  6. i tried, when i click it says ,"our records shows us that you no longer have warranty with dell, go here blah blah blah to renew, blah blah blah.
  7. Ok, let me check if I can find something about the CPU upgrade.
  8. Best answer
    Found this:
    Quote:
    I was actually informed that if I upgrade my BIOS, I can upgrade to a Pentium D. So the best processor I can stick in my system would be a Pentium D 960 3.4Ghz Dual Core"

The Intel chipset (945g) will NOT support Core2Duos....so the pentium D is your best option. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS from Dell (A07).
  9. singingigo said:
    Found this:
    Quote:
    I was actually informed that if I upgrade my BIOS, I can upgrade to a Pentium D. So the best processor I can stick in my system would be a Pentium D 960 3.4Ghz Dual Core"

The Intel chipset (945g) will NOT support Core2Duos....so the pentium D is your best option. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS from Dell (A07).

cpu z says i already have the a07 bios. do you know the fastest Pentium D will work with my model. i have a 0WG262 model motherboard btw. i bought my computer in the summer of 2006.
  10. hi guys. i am in some what the same boat as the original poster. i have a Dell 5150 with a Pentium IV, i think it's a 2.8 GHz. i've toyed with the idea of building my own custom box, but i might actually be a year or more from tackling that so in the meantime i thought it would be nice if I could pimp this Dell out some more. the logical next step for me and this Dell is a processor upgrade. there is so much mumbo-jumbo already out on the net about upgrading processors so for me it's pretty tough to know exactly what will work and what won't.
  11. from what i've found the Pentium D 960 is discontinued.
  12. Best answer selected by Shpati.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors Product