Sign in with
Your question

SOS - FIrst time builder uncontrollable restart cycle (MSI P67A-GD65)

Last response: in Motherboards
March 15, 2011 5:29:28 AM

Hello,
This is my first build, and I need help. I wired everything carefully, but my system wont post. All of the fans (case, led fans, GPU fan, PSU fan) start up, but the whole system turns off after ~ 6 seconds. Then it starts again. And turns off. It won't connect to my monitor at all, I have no idea what is going on. I don't have much time; this spring break is all I have to build. Please help me!

Specifications:
Raidmax QUANTUM case
Corsair 750W modular and 80+ efficient
Core i5-2500K
G.Skill 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1333
Arctic cooling MX-4 TIM
CM HYPER 212+
ASUS 24x DVD burner
SAMSUNG F4 2TB
MSI 6850 CYCLONE PE
MSI P67A-GD65

Can the I/O plate somehow affect this?
March 15, 2011 5:59:17 PM

Ok. I got it to boot to ClickBIOS by putting my memory in slots 3 and 4 (not dual channel). How do I change this? I am unfamiliar with the BIOS at all...
m
l
March 17, 2011 1:03:33 PM

Pretty sure you need memory in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 for dual channel. I have same motherboard and processor and same problem.

You can try updating your bios but it didn't work for
me. I'm currently in touch wih msi trying to solve he problem. Let me know if you find a solution and I'll do the same.
m
l
March 17, 2011 6:52:50 PM

anthony1832 said:
Pretty sure you need memory in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 for dual channel. I have same motherboard and processor and same problem.

You can try updating your bios but it didn't work for
me. I'm currently in touch wih msi trying to solve he problem. Let me know if you find a solution and I'll do the same.

Well I got it working fine in single channel... I don't see a fix anytime soon. I filed a MSI customer support ticket and am waiting for a response. Good thing there is a 3 year warranty. I think we are going to have to RMA the boards back to MSI.

Did the slots 3 and 4 work for you? Mine is actually stable and windows is installed. I think MSI let a bad batch through.
m
l
March 17, 2011 7:04:19 PM

I didn't even try 3 and 4 yet. Once I got 1 an 2 working I was excited and started installing windows. My computer is up and running like a beast. But no dual channel. I don't notice the difference but it bugs me that my computer is not running at full potential.
m
l
March 17, 2011 7:07:57 PM

Msi sent me a link to some FTP bios update which I guess is different then the one used used by live update? Either that or the customer support person doesn't understand English very well because I told him I updated my bios. Judging by his responses it sounds like English is his second language. Which worries me because can I ruin my motherboard by updating the bios even though it has already been updated?
m
l
March 17, 2011 8:27:13 PM

I don't know. Haha I got excited and installed windows too... Anyway, I don't now about the update. 1.8(.2?) is the latest. I say just RMA it. I'm trying to contact them about fixing it, but I think I'll just apply for a RMA, either to NewEgg or MSI.
m
l
March 17, 2011 10:44:53 PM

I'd rather not disassemble my mother board and wait a month for them to RMA it, so I am going to exhaust every option first. I've got some games that will only run on this computer and no other in my house, don't wanna be without them for that long. :) 
m
l
March 18, 2011 6:01:23 AM

anthony1832 said:
I'd rather not disassemble my mother board and wait a month for them to RMA it, so I am going to exhaust every option first. I've got some games that will only run on this computer and no other in my house, don't wanna be without them for that long. :) 

yep me too! Just got bad company 2! Hey, friend me if you see me!
m
l
March 18, 2011 9:21:20 AM

Tech support told me to make sure my memory is on this list.

http://www.msi.com/file/test_report/TR10_2313.pdf

Mine wasn't, so I ordered new memory in hopes that it will work.

Not a big FPS guy. No strategy involved in running in circles with finger on trigger. Occasionally i play modern warfare, but that's it.
m
l
March 19, 2011 3:23:45 AM

I'm sure mine is though. I think it may be a problem on the CPU slot.
m
l
!