Sign in with
Your question

PSU with 2x main power connector?

Last response: in Components
August 17, 2010 7:47:16 PM

Hello!

I am in desperate need of a power supply with 2 main power connectors - 1x 24pin and 1x 20pin. This is for a Dell XPS 720. The system is the best I've ever run. It's years old and just barely starting to fall behind in the graphics department, so I decided to upgrade my graphics, but the power supply apparently isn't enough (750w).

I have tried Y splitters and dual PSUs but it just doesn't work... Without the exact configuration offered by my proprietary dell PSU, either a single GPU's fan will power up or nothing will pwoer up. It's so strange.

The power supply I am replacing is no longer provided by Dell. They could care less about their customers.

If anyone knows of a solution or a product that fits this description, please let me know.
August 17, 2010 8:20:11 PM

What graphics are you upgrading to? I would be willing to bet that a 750 is plenty. Also, what is the 12V current rating on your current PSU? It should be printed on the side of the PSU somewhere.
m
l
August 18, 2010 6:43:21 AM

The graphics I'm moving toward should be regardless, but they are dual Nvidia Geforce 9800 in sli mode. I know there is not enough power because I had to disconnect 2 of my dvd drives so that the "not enough power" warnings wouldn't show up on my desktop at startup.

I'm not sure what a 12v current rating is. The power supply has nothing more than the "DELL" logo and 8 clumsily stamped inkmarks which are completely illegible.

Maybe I need to mention the motherboard itself requires those two main power connectors. The computer will run with just the 24 pin connected, but it processes slowly and I have a feeling it's a bad idea.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2010 2:53:39 PM

Try txcesssurplus.com for a Dell replacement PSU. BTW, what all are you powering that a 750w PSU won't power, even in SLI?

Since you have an older PSU, it may simply may not be operating as efficiently as it once did.

You can also look at adding one of these to your system to provide the additional power you need:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good luck!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2010 2:59:05 PM

Dual 9800s will run with as little as a 550 watt unit no problem. The unit might just be crapping out in that case if it is you don't need to buy a dell power supply any ATX power supply will work.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2010 4:08:07 PM

Are the 9800GTs Green editions with no 6-pins? If so that might be your problem.
m
l
August 29, 2010 1:10:04 PM

A regular ATX power supply won't work. It needs two main power connectors.

I am a bit concerned about the dell power supply replacement, because the old one was always pretty inefficient. It takes in way more power than what it puts out. I don't know if that's normal, but I had thought there might be greener alternatives. The surpluss replacement from the txcess website seems like a very good buy at 60 dollars. It is an upgrade to 1000w and I was willing to pay a much higher price, so it is very lucky! I just hope it is efficient.

Thank you everyone!
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
August 29, 2010 7:26:32 PM

cjl said:
I still don't see what you mean by saying "two main power connectors". I'm looking at the XPS 720 interior (http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.19.36.98.73/XPS-720-Interior.jpg), and I only see standard ATX connectors. Can you point out where the second main power connector is in that image? I see the 20 pin just to the right and below the RAM slots.

Instead of using a 24 main and 4 or 8 pin cpu connector the XPS 720 has a 24 pin and a 20 pin
The 24 pin is hiding just above the sata ports
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 29, 2010 7:29:36 PM

COLGeek said:
Try txcesssurplus.com for a Dell replacement PSU. BTW, what all are you powering that a 750w PSU won't power, even in SLI?

Since you have an older PSU, it may simply may not be operating as efficiently as it once did.

You can also look at adding one of these to your system to provide the additional power you need:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good luck!

Same type product but $50 cheaper @$19.99 --- ( LINKIE ) - and will give you more than enough power to run those GPUs
m
l
!