Sign in with
Your question

Wiring PSU to Motherboard/GPU...

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 18, 2010 5:49:36 PM

Hi guys, I just replaced the PSU on my desktop computer and now I'm having a difficult time wiring all the components together so I'm asking you for advice as I don't want destroy my setup.

Here's the situation:

PSU: CoolerMaster Silent ProM 1000w (Modular)
  • 20+4 Pin x1
  • CPU 12 4+4 Pin x2
  • Peripheral 4 Pin x6
  • PCI-e 6+2 Pin x6
  • Sata x9
  • Floppy 4 Pin x1
  • PCI-e Y cable x2

Mobo: Gigabyte X48-DS4
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4870
    Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two

First of all I just want to make sure i get things right: I'm connecting the 20+4 Pin on the Mobo but I just want to make sure I can remove the protective cover and connect the CPU 12 4+4 Pin as well. Here's what the guide says avout the last part:

Quote:
    The ATX_12V_2X power connector is compatible with power supplies with 2x2 12V power
    connector. When using a power supply providing a 2x4 12V and power connector, remove the
    protective covers from the 12V power connector and the main power connector on the motherboard.
    Do not insert the power supply cables into pins under the protective covers when using a power
    supply providing a 2x2 12V power connector.

I connected PCI-e Cables to the GPU using the Y cable so i have only one cables with two ends rather than 2 cables. I think this is good.

Now, there's also a lot of loose wiring on my case (fans, led's as well as the regular power button/usb cables). I don't really know what to do with those... Should i connect them to the Mobo or the PSU using Molex connectors??? I don't really know where they should go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    W
    a c 122 B Homebuilt system
    June 18, 2010 6:53:03 PM

RTFM. "Read the, err, fine manual".

All of the Antec wiring except the fans goes to the motherboard. The case and motherboard manuals will help you there. Antecs use the lighted fans for a power LED, so you will not find a separate power LED.

The 4 Antec case fans use molex connectors. On my Antec 900 cases, I fastened the two front fans together and the back and top together and used one molex cable to power all of the fans.

USB and audio cables - use the motherboard manual to tell you where they go. Be careful with the USB cables. The same connector will also fit on the Firewire and serial headers and will destroy any USB device plugged into them.

Power wiring: the 20+4 connector goes to the main power connector. The G'byte X48 uses an 8 pin CPU power connector. Uses all eight pins if you have them - you do.

If you have enough PCIe power connectors - and you do, do not use the Y adapter. The 4870 needs two 6 pin connectors. Plug the 6 pin part of the PCI power cables in and leave the 2 pin section unconnected. They are designed to be used that way.

After you plug in the drive power cables, you are going to have a lot of cables left over. Put them back in the box and don't loose them. :) 
    m
    l
    !