Gateway laptop charger connection

Adamato68

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hello,
I'm far from a computer genius and I'm having issues with my Gateway laptop. My laptop charger is not making a proper connection to the laptop. If I pres down on the adapter connection (where it plugs into the laptop) I can sometimes get the connection made but then have to continue to hold down the adapter or lose the connection. Has anyone else ever had this issue and, if so, how did you correct it? I'm very hesitant to take my laptop apart. :(

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Usually caused by cracked solder on the laptop motherboard's power connector. Yes, that means taking it apart.

techie2009

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I am having the same problem and need to take apart the laptop. Where can I go to find out how to take it apart correctly?
It is a Gateway NV53. I have checked Gateway's site and looked at the user guide but didn't see any information on hardware replacement.

thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Usually you have to take the keyboard out first. Sometimes it unclips, sometimes it uses screws. Look above the top edge of the keyboard for small screw covers or grooves for inserting a small screwdriver to unclip it.