• Power Supplies
  • Laptops
  • Connection
  • Gateway
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 17, 2010 9:54:54 PM

Hello,
I'm far from a computer genius and I'm having issues with my Gateway laptop. My laptop charger is not making a proper connection to the laptop. If I pres down on the adapter connection (where it plugs into the laptop) I can sometimes get the connection made but then have to continue to hold down the adapter or lose the connection. Has anyone else ever had this issue and, if so, how did you correct it? I'm very hesitant to take my laptop apart. :( 

More about : gateway laptop charger connection

August 17, 2010 10:08:22 PM

Adamato68 said:
Hello,
I'm far from a computer genius and I'm having issues with my Gateway laptop. My laptop charger is not making a proper connection to the laptop. If I pres down on the adapter connection (where it plugs into the laptop) I can sometimes get the connection made but then have to continue to hold down the adapter or lose the connection. Has anyone else ever had this issue and, if so, how did you correct it? I'm very hesitant to take my laptop apart. :( 

Usually caused by cracked solder on the laptop motherboard's power connector. Yes, that means taking it apart.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2010 2:55:28 AM

and yes, its vrey common and a pita to fix.
gateway. nuff said :p 
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2010 3:11:37 AM

shovenose said:
and yes, its vrey common and a pita to fix.
gateway. nuff said :p 

Actually I've had good luck with Gateway power connections, most of the ones I've seen fail have been HP/Compaq and Toshiba.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2010 4:29:41 PM

ok well i would say that hp has the crappiest laptops these days. but i would say compaq has the worst. hp (same company) 2nd worst...
its scary when a company is worse than gateway lol.
m
l
August 20, 2010 5:55:50 PM

I am having the same problem and need to take apart the laptop. Where can I go to find out how to take it apart correctly?
It is a Gateway NV53. I have checked Gateway's site and looked at the user guide but didn't see any information on hardware replacement.

thanks
m
l
August 20, 2010 7:14:27 PM

techie2009 said:
I am having the same problem and need to take apart the laptop. Where can I go to find out how to take it apart correctly?
It is a Gateway NV53. I have checked Gateway's site and looked at the user guide but didn't see any information on hardware replacement.

thanks

Usually you have to take the keyboard out first. Sometimes it unclips, sometimes it uses screws. Look above the top edge of the keyboard for small screw covers or grooves for inserting a small screwdriver to unclip it.
m
l