Swapping HDD to SSD in my Y580 Help

rollinD

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Well, the thing is it has been a while since I went into a laptop. I didn't know SSD existed until a few months ago.
I was wondering how to get the Windows OS onto a SamSung 830 128GB(plenty of space) SSD I have sitting in front of me. Not sure how I would go about it from scratch.

I read that there is a easy software that will migrate HDD data to the new SSD without any problems and instructions. Although, the comments on migrating with this software differed.

I have a Y580, I wan to use the Samsung 830 as my primary and only drive. I hope not to run into any problems/surprises. I heard that SSDs get slower over time as well as have a limited amount times they can be written on I also heard many brands are unreliable(OTZ). When it comes to Sata ad mSata I am a bit confused. I just simply put want an SSD where my HDD is with my current data on my HDDD transferred to the SSD. I have a 320GB Toshiba External Drive I have with a windows CD image and BackUps/Mirror etc on. All backed up on that external drive.

I read some guides, but I couldn't find any guides for using the SSD as my main only storage device for files, applications and the OS. I want to do it myself, save myself time money and learn. Thanks for any help guys!

My Y580:
6GB DDR3 1600mhz
Toshiba 5400RPM 750GB HDD
Intel i7 3610QM
NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 660M 2GB graphics

Don't...

Bump posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Acronis disk director suite 11 is probably one of your best bets i have used it several times in this manner, you would have to connect both drives to a computer system, boot the disk and use the clone tool to copy the disks directly while also selecting to copy the NT signature.