Solved

Raid 0 with partition

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Partition
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 11, 2012 6:33:55 PM

I have two physical HDs. One is 150GB and the other 2TB. I was wondering if I could use 150GB partition on my 2TB drive and raid 0 with my main HD and still be able to use the rest of my 2TB drive for storage

More about : raid partition

a c 544 G Storage
August 11, 2012 6:53:46 PM

Sorry, but that is not possible. When you create a RAID array you can only select a physical drive, and any partitions on all drives that you select are deleted in the process.
m
l

Best solution

August 11, 2012 9:44:54 PM

Thank you, I figured that was what would happen, thought i'd ask anyways!
Related resources
March 15, 2013 10:35:24 AM

I know this is an old thread, but actually what you posted, mr Derek47, is completely false. If you use software raid, you can do what you asked. You cant do it using hardwrae raid, but using software raid meaans using linux. I dont know if you are familiar with Linux. Another thing you might want to consider doing is using LVM. LVM is Logical Volume Manager. With LVM you can creat a partition on your 2TB drive of say, 150GB, and span it with yoru original 150GB drive, creating a 300 GB partition. THen you can partition the rest of your 2TB drive however you wanted! btw, with your 2tb drive you should use a GUID. in fact, use a GUID Partition table on both drives. Guid Parition Table is more effecient and provides redundancy whereas MBR partition tables do not provide redundancy. Also, GPT is able to support paritions larger than 2TB, whereas MBR is not.
Good Luck,
Nate.
m
l
a c 544 G Storage
March 15, 2013 11:24:25 AM

Nathan Smith said:
With LVM you can creat a partition on your 2TB drive of say, 150GB, and span it with yoru original 150GB drive, creating a 300 GB partition. THen you can partition the rest of your 2TB drive however you wanted!

So would that 300GB partition be a RAID-0 partition? In other words, would the O/P see RAID-0 Read/Write speeds when benchmarked with ATTO, AS-SSD, CrystalDiskMark, HD Tune, etc?
m
l
!