New Q550 with Evga 750I SLI. No display

Arigo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Hi, im posting this for a friend, i'll firstly list the specs..

GPU - EVGA GTX 470
CPU - Q9550 (old one was E8400)
MOBO - Evga 750I SLI
PSU - Xion 1000W
RAM - Gskill pi 4gb ddr2 800

So, we just took out the E8400, and dropped in the Q9550.. We got it to post, and it froze, then we booted up again, and it froze at windows 7 loading screen, then the 3rd time, it got to the desktop, and then froze after a couple minutes.. Now everytime we boot the monitor just goes analog power saving mode.. We reset bios, tried booting with 1 ram stick in different slots, and we reset CMOS, nothing seems to work.. Help?

Arigo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Update

We took off the heatsink (Tuniq tower 120) and plugged the computer in, plugged everything in and tried to start the computer, it works, we get a post and the monitor turns on, I can get into bios if I wanted, but the cpu gets very hot. The only thing I can think of is that either the thermal paste is seeping onto the motherboard and causing a short (it was before, we took it off and put less on, it doesnt anymore) or the pins holding the heatsink on are touching the case and short circuiting? We are now going to try and put the heatsink back on, this time not tightening it as much to see if it works.

Im thinking its the heatsink.

(we used arctic silver 5 for thermal paste)

Edit: We loosened the screws quite a bit, but firm enough so it didn't really move around, and it works to post. Right now we are just gonna move it to a different table, and plug in all the usb's and what not.. Also could the screws short circuiting cause electrical shock when touching the case? That happened earlier, we would get small buzzes, and shocks, and our fingers would go numb...

If you are using arctic silver 5 and its seeping out you are using way to much. Clean off the old paste on the board with alcohol swabs and then reset the heat-sink with a very thin layer of past almost see threw. Do not run the computer without the heat-sink on you will fry the chip.

Arigo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009

I don't think we were using much at all.. Its because the cooler, screws in so tight, it puts so much pressure, that it all spreads out.. It wasn't seeping too much, although we put a tiny tiny dot in the middle, tightened it, then took it off, and it covered the whole entire cpu... But it's working now..