reg.exe script error

Hello all -

I'm creating a script to push out Hotfixes on our closed network. I burn
the hotfixes to a cd and then load them on a fixed location on our network.
The problem that I'm having is on our Windows XP client machines. I try to
query the registry to determine if the hotfix has already been installed.
However when I use the reg.exe query command, I get the following message
whether or not the registry key is actually there.

Error: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value

I used regedit to make sure that the key exists and I ensured that
permissions were open for the users to see the key. Our XP machines have SP1
installed. Installing SP2 is not an option for us at this point as we are
still testing it prior to its application on our production network.

I appreciate any help you can give.

Chris

Cannot Use the Reg.exe Command to Locate a Registry Key That Contains a
Forward Slash Character
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823468

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:13D8ACBF-9627-4E56-AC09-A3A7F40B39DF@microsoft.com,
Chris Coryell <ChrisCoryell@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello all -
>
> I'm creating a script to push out Hotfixes on our closed network. I
> burn the hotfixes to a cd and then load them on a fixed location on
> our network. The problem that I'm having is on our Windows XP client
> machines. I try to query the registry to determine if the hotfix has
> already been installed. However when I use the reg.exe query command,
> I get the following message whether or not the registry key is
> actually there.
>
> Error: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or
> value
>
> I used regedit to make sure that the key exists and I ensured that
> permissions were open for the users to see the key. Our XP machines
> have SP1 installed. Installing SP2 is not an option for us at this
> point as we are still testing it prior to its application on our
> production network.
>
> I appreciate any help you can give.
>
> Chris

Thanks Wes. I saw this prior to my post and removed a /s parameter that I
was using, but it didn't change my result. Still no dice on reading that key
from the registry.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Cannot Use the Reg.exe Command to Locate a Registry Key That Contains a
> Forward Slash Character
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823468
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:13D8ACBF-9627-4E56-AC09-A3A7F40B39DF@microsoft.com,
> Chris Coryell <ChrisCoryell@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hello all -
> >
> > I'm creating a script to push out Hotfixes on our closed network. I
> > burn the hotfixes to a cd and then load them on a fixed location on
> > our network. The problem that I'm having is on our Windows XP client
> > machines. I try to query the registry to determine if the hotfix has
> > already been installed. However when I use the reg.exe query command,
> > I get the following message whether or not the registry key is
> > actually there.
> >
> > Error: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or
> > value
> >
> > I used regedit to make sure that the key exists and I ensured that
> > permissions were open for the users to see the key. Our XP machines
> > have SP1 installed. Installing SP2 is not an option for us at this
> > point as we are still testing it prior to its application on our
> > production network.
> >
> > I appreciate any help you can give.
> >
> > Chris

Chris,

Pls post the entire REG command-line. Or, use this VBScript to query the
list of installed Hotfixes, using WMI

Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &h10
Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &h20

On Error Resume Next

Set shell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
Set fso = Wscript.CreateObject("Scripting.FilesystemObject")
set b = fso.CreateTextFile("C:\FixList.txt",true)
b.writeline "List of Hotfixes installed in this computer"
b.writeblanklines 1

strComputer="."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")
Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM
Win32_QuickFixEngineering", "WQL", _
wbemFlagReturnImmediately +
wbemFlagForwardOnly)
For Each objItem In colItems
b.writeline objItem.HotFixID
Next

b.close
shell.Run "notepad C:\FixList.txt", 1,True
set shell = Nothing
set fso = Nothing

Copy the above code to Notepad, and save as FixQuery.vbs. Run it in the
subject computer. For more comprehensive methods, you may try the
Scripting/WMI newsgroups.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Chris Coryell" <ChrisCoryell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Wes. I saw this prior to my post and removed a /s parameter that I
> was using, but it didn't change my result. Still no dice on reading that
> key
> from the registry.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Cannot Use the Reg.exe Command to Locate a Registry Key That Contains a
>> Forward Slash Character
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823468
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:13D8ACBF-9627-4E56-AC09-A3A7F40B39DF@microsoft.com,
>> Chris Coryell <ChrisCoryell@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> > Hello all -
>> >
>> > I'm creating a script to push out Hotfixes on our closed network. I
>> > burn the hotfixes to a cd and then load them on a fixed location on
>> > our network. The problem that I'm having is on our Windows XP client
>> > machines. I try to query the registry to determine if the hotfix has
>> > already been installed. However when I use the reg.exe query command,
>> > I get the following message whether or not the registry key is
>> > actually there.
>> >
>> > Error: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or
>> > value
>> >
>> > I used regedit to make sure that the key exists and I ensured that
>> > permissions were open for the users to see the key. Our XP machines
>> > have SP1 installed. Installing SP2 is not an option for us at this
>> > point as we are still testing it prior to its application on our
>> > production network.
>> >
>> > I appreciate any help you can give.
>> >
>> > Chris

Actual line in batch file is \\server1\utils\reg.exe query
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
XP\Updates\SP3\KB890047\Description".

On our Win2K boxes this returns the data and type of the key, but it says it
cannot read the Win XP registry. Same result on all our XP machines, so it's
not specific to one machine.

Thanks.

Chris

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Watch for line wrap. Better, download the attached file qfe.vb. Download and
> rename as qfe.vbs
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> > Chris,
> >
> > Pls post the entire REG command-line. Or, use this VBScript to query the
> > list of installed Hotfixes, using WMI

> > Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &h10
> > Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &h20
> >
> > On Error Resume Next
> >
> > Set shell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
> > Set fso = Wscript.CreateObject("Scripting.FilesystemObject")
> > set b = fso.CreateTextFile("C:\FixList.txt",true)
> > b.writeline "List of Hotfixes installed in this computer"
> > b.writeblanklines 1
> >
> > strComputer="."
> > Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")
> > Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM
> > Win32_QuickFixEngineering", "WQL", _
> > wbemFlagReturnImmediately +
> > wbemFlagForwardOnly)
> > For Each objItem In colItems
> > b.writeline objItem.HotFixID
> > Next
> >
> > b.close
> > shell.Run "notepad C:\FixList.txt", 1,True
> > set shell = Nothing
> > set fso = Nothing

> > Copy the above code to Notepad, and save as FixQuery.vbs. Run it in the
> > subject computer. For more comprehensive methods, you may try the
> > Scripting/WMI newsgroups.
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP Shell/User
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >

> > "Chris Coryell" <ChrisCoryell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Thanks Wes. I saw this prior to my post and removed a /s parameter that
> >> was using, but it didn't change my result. Still no dice on reading that
> >> key
> >> from the registry.

Chris,

As XP has the REG.EXE built-in, in one of theXP machines try running the
command without the \\server\utils\ path.

--

> Actual line in batch file is \\server1\utils\reg.exe query
> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> XP\Updates\SP3\KB890047\Description".
>
> On our Win2K boxes this returns the data and type of the key, but it says
> it
> cannot read the Win XP registry. Same result on all our XP machines, so
> it's
> not specific to one machine.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chris
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Watch for line wrap. Better, download the attached file qfe.vb. Download
>> and
>> rename as qfe.vbs
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > Chris,
>> >
>> > Pls post the entire REG command-line. Or, use this VBScript to query
>> > the
>> > list of installed Hotfixes, using WMI
>> >
>> > -----------------------------------------------
>> > Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &h10
>> > Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &h20
>> >
>> > On Error Resume Next
>> >
>> > Set shell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
>> > Set fso = Wscript.CreateObject("Scripting.FilesystemObject")
>> > set b = fso.CreateTextFile("C:\FixList.txt",true)
>> > b.writeline "List of Hotfixes installed in this computer"
>> > b.writeblanklines 1
>> >
>> > strComputer="."
>> > Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer &
>> > "\root\CIMV2")
>> > Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM
>> > Win32_QuickFixEngineering", "WQL", _
>> > wbemFlagReturnImmediately +
>> > wbemFlagForwardOnly)
>> > For Each objItem In colItems
>> > b.writeline objItem.HotFixID
>> > Next
>> >
>> > b.close
>> > shell.Run "notepad C:\FixList.txt", 1,True
>> > set shell = Nothing
>> > set fso = Nothing
>> >
>> > -----------------------------------------------
>> >
>> > Copy the above code to Notepad, and save as FixQuery.vbs. Run it in the
>> > subject computer. For more comprehensive methods, you may try the
>> > Scripting/WMI newsgroups.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows XP Shell/User
>> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>> >

>> > "Chris Coryell" <ChrisCoryell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message

I guess this is where you want to check:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB834707

Here is the correct syntax: (mention /v for value)

REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KBnnnnnn" /v
"Description"