Solved

$600-700 Multi-purpose PC

Hello, This is my first time here so I hope I do this correctly/have this in the correct section.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Buying piece by piece for around 4 months.

BUDGET RANGE: $600 - $700 USD After Rebates.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Graphic editing (Photoshop & Illustrator CS5), Gaming (F.E.A.R 2, Assassin's Creed 1 & 2, Crysis), Internet, Movies, Music.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I would like to stick to well-known sites such as Newegg and TigerDirect.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA (Washington State)

PARTS PREFERENCES: I have no real Brand Preference. I Just want something strong enough to run 1 or 2 VM, Play Newer Games, and Multi-task between Photoshop, Google Chrome, and IRC & IM clients.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm looking to spend as little as possible while still having a strong machine. With the Help of Some friends I was able to put something together but would like a second opinion.


AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
XFX HD-485X-ZNFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.415902
(Combo Deal)


MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130223R
(Open Box)


GeIL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model GV34GB1600C9DC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144356


SILVERSTONE PS05-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Tool-less Installation Design Computer Case
Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.426084
(Combo Deal)


Seagate 7200.11 ST31500341AS Barracuda Hard Drive - 1.5TB, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache, SATA-3G (OEM)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4138742&Sku=TSD-1500AS


Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 Hybrid TV Tuner /Video Recorder 1196 PCI-Express x1 Interface
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116028


LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Writer - Bulk - LightScribe Support - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106333

I am Completely unsure about this build.
Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: Made it a little easier to read.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about multi purpose
  1. Best answer
    Although it saves you money, i would reccomend against the PSU that comes with the case. Rosewill PSUs are very low quality units, and i would not trust one in my system.
    The PSU is the one area you should never skimp, so plump the extra cash and get a corsair.

    other than that, everything looks solid. HDD wise i would go for a spinpoint F3, as they are faster drives. but thats thats a minor change. everything else looks good.
  2. welshmousepk said:
    Although it saves you money, i would reccomend against the PSU that comes with the case. Rosewill PSUs are very low quality units, and i would not trust one in my system.
    The PSU is the one area you should never skimp, so plump the extra cash and get a corsair.

    other than that, everything looks solid. HDD wise i would go for a spinpoint F3, as they are faster drives. but thats thats a minor change. everything else looks good.


    Okay, I think I will go with this CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply.

    As for the HDD i Might go with this SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive.
  3. Absolutely perfect.

    you don't need that much wattage from your PSU though. so if you want to save some cash you could drop back to a 450 or 550w. its always worth having more than you need though IMO. more scope for upgrades.

    but with the new HDD and better PSU you now have a very nice looking system.
  4. welshmousepk said:
    Absolutely perfect.

    you don't need that much wattage from your PSU though. so if you want to save some cash you could drop back to a 450 or 550w. its always worth having more than you need though IMO. more scope for upgrades.

    but with the new HDD and better PSU you now have a very nice looking system.
    Thank you for your help. This will be my first time building a computer so I hope it turns out well.
  5. No worries. Good luck with it, send me a PM if you run into any troubles. but putting one together is actually very easy.
  6. I felt instead of gambling on a $11x open box mobo i would rather hit a cheap 785/770 retail and pump funds into say a HD 5770? HD 4850 Crysis is kindda hard unless u tone things down...
  7. batuchka said:
    I felt instead of gambling on a $11x open box mobo i would rather hit a cheap 785/770 retail and pump funds into say a HD 5770? HD 4850 Crysis is kindda hard unless u tone things down...


    ok then I think I'll use this MSI 770-C45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

    and this POWERCOLOR AX5770 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card
  8. Best answer selected by connorthecreator.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product