Need help choosing which CPU to use

Hi everyone.
I have 3 computers I can use, all rather similar ( I think.. ).
The motherboards are as follows:

Computer 1] Gigabyte GA-8VM800PMD-775-RH (Brand New) Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.06GHz
Computer 2] Gigabyte GA-MS1GM-52G (Old) AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Computer 3] Gigabyte GA-K8NS1GMF-9 (Old) Dont know what the processor is but I think it's the same as Computer 2

Between the 3, I have 4 Patriot PSD1G400K 512 Sticks of RAM, 2 Kingston KVRS33D2N4/512's, and a Corsair VS1GB533D2.

What's the best combination of things to use? I was thinking about using Computer 1, but then I can only max out at 1.5gb RAM, because there are only 2 slots on the motherboard.

Thanks a ton in advance!
8 answers Last reply
More about need choosing
  1. I too say #1 is your best bet.
  2. I agree with asus x48 that Computer 1 is your best bet.

Or you can look to sell all three PC's and build new (if that could be an option). You could sell all three for about $150 each and build a more powerful system for $450 or so.
  3. Ehh selling isn't that much of an option. Any idea which 2 RAM sticks I should use?
  4. I would say the Corsair 1GB stick and call it a day & look for the same model and everything to add for a 2GB setup. You could run the Corsair and a Kingston stick for 1.5GB but you have to make sure timings, voltage, speeds all match to decrease possible BSOD or even a no boot.
  5. I would go for #2, Athlon 64 CPUs are MUCH more efficient than P4 and should beat one by quite a margin.

How much RAM can you put in that board?
  6. 2.5 GB
  7. Then go for hat, RAM is pretty essential and youll get much better performance from this combo.
    Though I would consider using all 4 sticks of the patriot so you have a matching dual channel
    setup.
  8. Alright, I'll see how it goes. Thanks to everyone for the opinions
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computer Gigabyte