Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a low budget gaming system, already have a monitor

Last response: in Systems
June 18, 2010 11:37:06 PM

Hi,

I'm actually a mac user, and I'm looking to purchase a computer for gaming. I have little idea how parts work, as I'm sure all of you know, Apple hates allowing you to customize your computer after you purchase it. Anyway, please hear me out and offer suggestions :) 

EDIT: I found this build, and it looks close, but I think it needs some modifications in the GPU. What do you suggest? Also, if you could improve any particular components in this build, which ones would you improve? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/value-gaming-pc,257...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 months to 6 months

BUDGET RANGE: $500-1000 (the lower the better)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming (I already have other computers to handle other tasks.)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse. (I have a 27" iMac, which has a display port in. It runs natively at 2560x1440)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: none, but i live in the USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: best bang for the buck.

OVERCLOCKING: NO
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, if it is significantly cheaper and not too hard to configure.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: runs natively at 2560x1440, however, i am fine with lowering it to 1920x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The most important thing is that it must be upgradeable. Although the native resolution is high, I am fine lowering it to 1920x1080. For arguments sake, I want to be able to play a game like Crysis at mid settings at the native resolution at 30-40 fps, however, if it is significantly cost effective, I am willing to lower it 1920x1080. Also, the graphics out requires a display port.

Thank you so much for any help you may give! It's nice to know that there are people willing to lend their expertise on technical subjects like this.
June 18, 2010 11:39:35 PM

I'm sorry, I forgot to add that I prefer Intel CPUs, since my macs run Intel, but if it significantly cheaper ($100 or more) to run AMD, I'm all for it.
a b 4 Gaming
June 19, 2010 8:58:16 AM

$749AR
Related resources
June 20, 2010 1:11:45 PM

Thanks batuchka!

Quick question though, Since I know I'm going to have difficultly in getting high quality graphics on a 27" monitor, is it possible to crossfire a midrange card, like a 48500 or 4670 and the Radeon 5850? Or will the performance not be worth it....?
a b 4 Gaming
June 20, 2010 1:19:41 PM

1. Performance will not be worth it
2. Size does not matter: for a 1920 x 1080 resolution the HD 5850 is fine and if not i advocate single GPU upgrades/solutions anyway as the GPU is about the least futureproof piece of h/w for a gaming rig hehe
3. You are welcomed ^^
January 5, 2014 10:09:20 PM

!