Solved

GeForce 275 SLI using PCIe x8 (and not x16)

I noticed that my SLI GeForce 275 are using the x8 and not x16, should I be concerned or is this how it works ? (Maybe I am not understanding how this works, but thought both cards should be using x16 and not x8)

CPU: 2.8Ghz i7 930
MB: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Mem: 6GB Tripple Channel Patriat
Vid: SLI - Nvidia GeForce 275
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about geforce pcie
  1. Make sure its in the first PCI-E 16x slot of your motherboard
  2. It is, and the second card is in the last PCIe slot (sound card is in between)

Could this be why it's doing x8 instead of x16 on the PCIe ?

(do they always need to be right next to each other ?)

Edit: because there are multiple slots on the board and the very second one I can not use as the first card eats up two slots.
  3. Best answer
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=3305&ProductName=GA-X58A-UD3R
    (Note 2) For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.
    (Note 3) The PCIEX8_1 and PCIEX8_2 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots respectively. When PCIEX8_1 is populated with an expansion card, the PCIEX16_1 slot will operate at up to x8 mode; when PCIEX8_2 is populated with an expansion card, the PC IEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

Note 3 is pretty much like your current situation
  4. Best answer selected by mikules.
  5. Maziar said:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=3305&ProductName=GA-X58A-UD3R
    (Note 2) For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.
    (Note 3) The PCIEX8_1 and PCIEX8_2 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots respectively. When PCIEX8_1 is populated with an expansion card, the PCIEX16_1 slot will operate at up to x8 mode; when PCIEX8_2 is populated with an expansion card, the PC IEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

Note 3 is pretty much like your current situation

Mazier,

Thank you kindly for finding that info, I had no idea the slots would be different in this aspect. Well this does mean I will have to say goodbye to my soundcard as there will be no room for it once I move the other card up higher. (dang, dang, dang!).

How well do these cards perform with heat when they're that close ? I really need to find a good heatsink replacement for these video cards but I Haven't had any good luck searching online. Most that I found I am worried they will not fit.

These are the BFG ones.
  6. I think they would be fine,the best way is to setup and check the temps(idle and full load).
  7. Maziar said:
    I think they would be fine,the best way is to setup and check the temps(idle and full load).

Sounds good. Hey thanks a lot! Really appreciate the help.

I'll keep looking around for a good heatsink replacement for these guys, they worry me at times when they get up to 80c at times but I have a fan inside blowing on them which has helped their temps out a lot, plus I bumped up their internal fans to 70% speed. (100% speed I can't handle, it's too noisy) :)

Hope by doing this I'll see better performance, so far I haven't been too impressed with SLI -- :??:
  8. Well getting heat sinks is a good idea,because they will run cooler.
    Also about SLI performance gains,well that really depends on the games/resolution.
    And you are quite welcome :)
  9. Hey Maziar,

I just wanted to let you know I went home and setup the cards in the PCIe x16 slots and both are now showing up correctly as using the x16. Again many thanks. I bow to you!

/Bow!

:)

FYI, I noticed 'some' performance out of the two by doing that, and a 'TAD' less tearing going on - on my screen so I was happy. -- I lost me sound card though, so that part stinks.

I had the Sound Blaster Fatal1ty Champion serious and really loved some of its benefits, but no clue as to what to get now. I loved the card but was never happy with Creatives lack of driver updates. Any thoughts to a nice card ?
  10. You are welcome :)
    Well that's a great sound card,you can still use it but your cards will run @ dual 8x(which really won't hurt much)but with every sound card with a PCI-E slot,you'll have to run your cards on dual 8x mode,unless you go with a PCI sound card.
  11. Maziar said:
    You are welcome :)
    Well that's a great sound card,you can still use it but your cards will run @ dual 8x(which really won't hurt much)but with every sound card with a PCI-E slot,you'll have to run your cards on dual 8x mode,unless you go with a PCI sound card.

Well, the card I have now is PCI but the second video card ate up the slot :(

So you're saying if I get a PCIe sound card and drop in that last PCIe slot, it'll make the video cards run at x8? Maybe if I can find heatsinks for these video cards I can squeeze in the PCI card again.
  12. That's what Gigabyte's site says
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia SLI Geforce Graphics