Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GeForce 275 SLI using PCIe x8 (and not x16)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 12, 2010 6:22:33 AM

I noticed that my SLI GeForce 275 are using the x8 and not x16, should I be concerned or is this how it works ? (Maybe I am not understanding how this works, but thought both cards should be using x16 and not x8)

CPU: 2.8Ghz i7 930
MB: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Mem: 6GB Tripple Channel Patriat
Vid: SLI - Nvidia GeForce 275
a b Î Nvidia
May 12, 2010 6:47:04 AM

Make sure its in the first PCI-E 16x slot of your motherboard
m
l
May 12, 2010 6:49:58 AM

It is, and the second card is in the last PCIe slot (sound card is in between)

Could this be why it's doing x8 instead of x16 on the PCIe ?

(do they always need to be right next to each other ?)

Edit: because there are multiple slots on the board and the very second one I can not use as the first card eats up two slots.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
May 12, 2010 7:45:01 AM

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...
(Note 2) For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.
(Note 3) The PCIEX8_1 and PCIEX8_2 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots respectively. When PCIEX8_1 is populated with an expansion card, the PCIEX16_1 slot will operate at up to x8 mode; when PCIEX8_2 is populated with an expansion card, the PC IEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

Note 3 is pretty much like your current situation
May 12, 2010 3:46:19 PM

Best answer selected by mikules.
m
l
May 12, 2010 3:49:42 PM

Maziar said:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...
(Note 2) For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.
(Note 3) The PCIEX8_1 and PCIEX8_2 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots respectively. When PCIEX8_1 is populated with an expansion card, the PCIEX16_1 slot will operate at up to x8 mode; when PCIEX8_2 is populated with an expansion card, the PC IEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

Note 3 is pretty much like your current situation

Mazier,

Thank you kindly for finding that info, I had no idea the slots would be different in this aspect. Well this does mean I will have to say goodbye to my soundcard as there will be no room for it once I move the other card up higher. (dang, dang, dang!).

How well do these cards perform with heat when they're that close ? I really need to find a good heatsink replacement for these video cards but I Haven't had any good luck searching online. Most that I found I am worried they will not fit.

These are the BFG ones.

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 12, 2010 6:00:15 PM

I think they would be fine,the best way is to setup and check the temps(idle and full load).
m
l
May 12, 2010 6:15:38 PM

Maziar said:
I think they would be fine,the best way is to setup and check the temps(idle and full load).

Sounds good. Hey thanks a lot! Really appreciate the help.

I'll keep looking around for a good heatsink replacement for these guys, they worry me at times when they get up to 80c at times but I have a fan inside blowing on them which has helped their temps out a lot, plus I bumped up their internal fans to 70% speed. (100% speed I can't handle, it's too noisy) :) 

Hope by doing this I'll see better performance, so far I haven't been too impressed with SLI -- :??: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 12, 2010 7:23:58 PM

Well getting heat sinks is a good idea,because they will run cooler.
Also about SLI performance gains,well that really depends on the games/resolution.
And you are quite welcome :) 
m
l
May 13, 2010 4:01:54 PM

Hey Maziar,

I just wanted to let you know I went home and setup the cards in the PCIe x16 slots and both are now showing up correctly as using the x16. Again many thanks. I bow to you!

/Bow!

:) 

FYI, I noticed 'some' performance out of the two by doing that, and a 'TAD' less tearing going on - on my screen so I was happy. -- I lost me sound card though, so that part stinks.

I had the Sound Blaster Fatal1ty Champion serious and really loved some of its benefits, but no clue as to what to get now. I loved the card but was never happy with Creatives lack of driver updates. Any thoughts to a nice card ?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 13, 2010 4:26:02 PM

You are welcome :) 
Well that's a great sound card,you can still use it but your cards will run @ dual 8x(which really won't hurt much)but with every sound card with a PCI-E slot,you'll have to run your cards on dual 8x mode,unless you go with a PCI sound card.
m
l
May 13, 2010 4:56:08 PM

Maziar said:
You are welcome :) 
Well that's a great sound card,you can still use it but your cards will run @ dual 8x(which really won't hurt much)but with every sound card with a PCI-E slot,you'll have to run your cards on dual 8x mode,unless you go with a PCI sound card.

Well, the card I have now is PCI but the second video card ate up the slot :( 

So you're saying if I get a PCIe sound card and drop in that last PCIe slot, it'll make the video cards run at x8? Maybe if I can find heatsinks for these video cards I can squeeze in the PCI card again.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 13, 2010 5:17:12 PM

That's what Gigabyte's site says
m
l
!