Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Faulty 5870?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 12, 2010 7:19:50 AM

Hello everyone, I think I have a problem with my 5870. My system is new: i-750,4g RAM,ga-p55-usb3, sapphire radeon 5870 1gb, OCZ 700w.

I think my fps is low for this system. I run at 1280x1024, so I thought I would easily run everything at high. I tried Metro 2033 on DX11 and DX10. 30fps(20fps intense) and 60fps(30fps intense) respectively. My max fps at CoD:MW2 are 91, even at this resolution. I have tried other games too and I still see the same results, where I should have been getting over 100 (as seen on benchmarks) I ger around 60-70. Also I get some micro-lags sometime, just like a frame is missing, for a very short time, like 0.1 secs.
Is my 5870 faulty? Is something wrong with my pc? Help ...

More about : faulty 5870

May 12, 2010 8:28:31 AM

Is your CPU running at stock speed?

BTW metro is perhaps the most demanding game out so don't expect huge frame rates, and if your playing online on CODMW2 then its capped at 91FPS and won't go any higher.
May 12, 2010 10:29:15 AM

My Cpu is at stock speed,yes.I have 10.4 drivers, have used driver sweeper to install. What about the micro-stuttering?

Also, I tried Crysis at 1280x1024, with and without antianalysing, and i get around 25 at explosions and 35-40 normally.
Related resources
May 12, 2010 10:34:19 AM

Rustyy117 said:

BTW metro is perhaps the most demanding game out so don't expect huge frame rates

But it's kind of strange to drop so low on 1280x1024. When I said I used driver sweeper to install, i meant i wiped out every old driver.
May 12, 2010 10:59:13 AM

Yeah its good that you've uninstalled the old drivers correctly, so that pretty much eliminates any driver conflict problems.

Are you using alot of AA in crysis and metro?
May 12, 2010 11:06:46 AM

I tried with and without, it still stays the same...
May 12, 2010 11:08:02 AM

well that tells us that you have a CPU bottleneck, The way to fix this would be to overclock the CPU
May 12, 2010 11:16:05 AM

Is that the only possible solution? Could it be faulty? I have a stock cooler though, about how much can I o/c. Is o/cing the card a solution as well?
May 12, 2010 11:25:45 AM

Well you could buy a much larger monitor that can do 2560 x 1600 res, but you still may end up with a CPU bottleneck.

The card is not faulty, The CPU is the problem, not the card. OCing the card won't help at all, because the CPU is already limiting the cards performance at stock.

I would only recommend you OC as high as you can without changing the voltage, as your using the stock cooler. If your unsure about OCing your CPU why not head over to the CPU section of this forum for infomation and help.
May 12, 2010 11:44:36 AM

Rustyy117 said:
Well you could buy a much larger monitor that can do 2560 x 1600 res, but you still may end up with a CPU bottleneck.

The card is not faulty, The CPU is the problem, not the card. OCing the card won't help at all, because the CPU is already limiting the cards performance at stock.

I would only recommend you OC as high as you can without changing the voltage, as your using the stock cooler. If your unsure about OCing your CPU why not head over to the CPU section of this forum for infomation and help.






ok, I'm getting suspicious now...
May 12, 2010 11:54:16 AM

Those two images I can't actually see : /
May 12, 2010 12:00:17 PM

In ati overdrive, it says that my current values are: GPU clock: 157mhz, Memory Clock: 300mhz

In cpuz, under clocks, Core:157mhz Memory: 300mhz
May 12, 2010 12:49:38 PM

yes, its meant to do that, your GPU is saving energy by reducing its memory and core clock (and voltage) when in 2D mode, When you do anything 3D it'll up its clocks to 850 core and 1200 memory.

Like I said, theres nothing wrong with your card.
May 12, 2010 6:03:36 PM

link_q said:
My Cpu is at stock speed,yes.I have 10.4 drivers, have used driver sweeper to install. What about the micro-stuttering?

Also, I tried Crysis at 1280x1024, with and without antianalysing, and i get around 25 at explosions and 35-40 normally.


Just a suggestion, try the 10.3 driver and see what happens.
May 12, 2010 7:08:48 PM

Dylvh said:
Just a suggestion, try the 10.3 driver and see what happens.


He has a CPU bottleneck, a different driver won't fix that.
May 13, 2010 8:56:48 AM

Rustyy117 said:
He has a CPU bottleneck, a different driver won't fix that.


Ok, I understand.
May 14, 2010 2:30:07 PM

I agree, sounds like it might be a CPU bottleneck. If you can use 4xAA and get the same fps as 0xAA then it has to be. Although about Crysis, if you're playing on Very High those framerates are about right, I play on High with 4xAA and my 5850 at 875/1220, and thats about what I get for frames. You should be able to OC the i5 750 pretty easily - mine's at 3.68ghz (175x21) and I have turbo, EIST, C states all enabled for great performance (turbo up to 4.2ghz :D )
!