Sign in with
Your question

Why have hard drive prices gone up? Will they come back down?

Last response: in Storage
August 12, 2012 2:25:22 AM

About a year or two ago I bought two 1TB hard drives for $40 each. I need another large drive again, but I see that all the large drives are much more expensive than they used to be. I thought the $/data storage ratio was supposed to get cheaper as time went on! What happened, and when will these prices ever go back down to where they were?

More about : hard drive prices back

a b G Storage
August 12, 2012 3:12:50 AM

The way SSD prices are dropping down, you dont need to worry about HDDs, simply go getting SSDs on your system demand
m
l
August 12, 2012 3:13:18 AM

There were floods in Taiwan a while back that caused a supply disruption, could be a while before prices come back down to where they once were.
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2012 3:29:34 AM

mlcaouette said:
There were floods in Taiwan a while back that caused a supply disruption, could be a while before prices come back down to where they once were.

The floods were in Thailand and Seagate and Western Digiital factories went under.

m
l
August 12, 2012 4:14:37 AM

Ahh i knew it was something with a T, thanks for the correction though. I was just pulling from memory, which apparently this event is fading away since it was a while back.
m
l
August 12, 2012 4:44:30 AM

leandrodafontoura said:
The way SSD prices are dropping down, you dont need to worry about HDDs, simply go getting SSDs on your system demand

ssd's are still pretty expensive, yeah they are fast but but hard drives are still the bang for the buck.
m
l
!