Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I'm installing the new HD

Last response: in Storage
August 12, 2012 3:59:00 AM

Ok, so I've come to terms with it, so I'm installing the new HD and Windows 7. what is the easiest/quickest, and/or best way to back up all the programs' files so that after you reload the program into the new Hard Drive and established a solid, fully updated OS, you could slide your files back into that program and thereby have the program at pretty much the point you left it before you did your clean install?

For instance, I'm looking at the "Users" Folder and wondering if I backed that up, would I be able to reinstate it later? The Windows Easy Transfer won't work under any 'safe mode' scenerio and at the moment that's the only way I can see my dsktop. So I'm trying to guess what I should back up and what I would just be wasting space if I did back up.

like, is the "ProgramData" folder a good idea to backup? Or for that matter, the 'Program Files", "Program Files (x86)", etc. What would you back up if you had 430GB of programs and files and want to be able to get the stuff that really would help.

That's why I was wondering about user's. BTW, I just ran that system analysis program and I'm going to see how I can send it to you just to see what you think. But at the moment, I am writing this PM from my wifes computer so I'll send the Analysis next.

Thanks

More about : installing

a b G Storage
August 12, 2012 4:02:36 AM

OK, can u tell me your storage that u can use?

All HDD's SSD's external HDD's .....
a b G Storage
August 12, 2012 4:06:04 AM

wingclip said:
For instance, I'm looking at the "Users" Folder and wondering if I backed that up, would I be able to reinstate it later?

It wont work, because u are erasing the registry entries.
Related resources
August 12, 2012 4:40:44 AM

nikorr said:
OK, can u tell me your storage that u can use?

All HDD's SSD's external HDD's .....

All except SSD's. I have (2) 1tbs externals and about 3 250GB externals and a whole buch of flash drives up to 16GB and DVD's of different sorts.

BTW, I don't understand what you mean by I'm erasing the registry entries.
a b G Storage
August 12, 2012 4:44:26 AM

If u install new windows, u erase it, all, including the registry.

So it would not work if u just save the C : /program files folder.

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 12, 2012 4:48:57 AM

Than u can do this. And install the games on different HDD.

SSD - W7 + all the programs that fit + page file

HDD - partition 1 @60GB - photos, project and other files up to 5MB + Document folder

HDD - partition 2 @100GB - music, and other files up to 30MB/per file.
HDD - partition 3 @ whats left for files 30MB> videos and other files

To have a partitions, is to separate the system from the Doc. files, so in the case of corruption on the system drive, u don't loose the files, so that's the main reason to partition.

If u separate the small files from large ones, the fragmentation is small and it is easy to keep it de-fragmented.

Move Your Libraries off of the system drive...
http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/5.html
a b G Storage
August 12, 2012 4:52:22 AM

Sure : )

That way its separated from the system and easier to back up.
August 12, 2012 4:52:39 AM

I've got to look that idea over when I've had some sleep. So Thanks, Nikorr. I'll look at it again tomorrow.
August 12, 2012 7:08:54 PM

I think that's a great suggestion but I have spent $600 of which $200 was not 'in the plans'. My wife is, shall we say, concerned?

I still have to live with her after this so I'm going to try a variation of that suggestion.

BTW: Other than programs that require I do a 'deactivation procedure' for the code, I don't see any reason to 'uninstall' each and every program I have, do you?

I figure I can just reformat the old, ex-system drive at some later date and then use it as an internal backup drive and include it in your suggested setup. That makes sense, right?
Oh, and thanks!
August 12, 2012 7:09:31 PM

Best answer selected by wingclip.
!