Is this ok to leave off of my 8800 GT

I am running SLI'd XFX 8800 GT. While the top card idles about 56*c and the bottom is 52*c after applying Arctic Silver 5...just wondering if I can leave the cover off...the cover that you remove to get to the fan and heatsink fins...that has the XFX logo on it...and is held on by 7 tiny screws that once removed reveals the fins and stock fan. Is this ok to leave off and what purpose does it serve? Does it help the fan move air into the fins to cool it better and I should keep them on? Or its just mearly cosmetic?
22 answers Last reply
More about leave 8800
  1. sirsaechao said:
    I am running SLI'd XFX 8800 GT. While the top card idles about 56*c and the bottom is 52*c after applying Arctic Silver 5...just wondering if I can leave the cover off...the cover that you remove to get to the fan and heatsink fins...that has the XFX logo on it...and is held on by 7 tiny screws that once removed reveals the fins and stock fan. Is this ok to leave off and what purpose does it serve? Does it help the fan move air into the fins to cool it better and I should keep them on? Or its just mearly cosmetic?

Hello

If I'm looking at the correct card then it seems to *****move the air back out and away from the card*****

I would put the cover back on simply because...it was on before so there is probably a reason its up there

Hope this helps

Uber
  2. theoretically, that cover has 3 purposes:
    -direct the airflow
    -look nice
    -protect the heatsink fins
  3. I thought the 8800GT was an ATI card...so wouldn't it be running in Crossfire, not SLI (as that is Nvidia tech?)
  4. 8800GT is Nvidia and SLI
  5. lmartinefc said:
    I thought the 8800GT was an ATI card...so wouldn't it be running in Crossfire, not SLI (as that is Nvidia tech?)

nope
  6. It would be best to reinstall the cover.
  7. I stand corrected! following on from the points above...the cover is required to attain the best airflow. Remember, this isn't like a simple case fan, drawing in from the back then pushing out through the front...these cooling fans draw air along the board (over the chipset) then exhale away from the board. If you remove what is effectively an air channel, the fan will draw air from the area of least resistance, from all angles, including the hot air it just exhaled. Think of it like you would an induction kit on a car...guide the air from a specific (cold) source then into the engine...doesn't draw hot air surrounding the engine..same concept. Thats why (for both reasons above) on the new cards...you can clearly see an air intake at the far end, with the fan at the other
  8. Yeah bt the fan pulls air in then pushes it through theheatsink then out. The problem with leaving the cpver off is that the air wi sort ofjust flop out insted of coolig the enitre heatsink
  9. Ok thanks for the information. I feel that the shroud was there to move the air to the back of the case. So I will reattach it. Thanks.
  10. :) yep
  11. sirsaechao said:
    Ok thanks for the information. I feel that the shroud was there to move the air to the back of the case. So I will reattach it. Thanks.

np

Glad to help...thanks others for supporting me :D

Uber

PS: thank you shove for adding "protect the heat sink fins"
  12. Just put back the shroud. Current idle temperature for top card is 58*c and bottom is 50*c. Bottom card went down, but top card went up.
  13. Have you got a pic of your setup? It is due to the fact that you are influencing the air flow over/around the cards.
  14. lmartinefc said:
    Have you got a pic of your setup? It is due to the fact that you are influencing the air flow over/around the cards.

Here you go. Sorry for the cable management:

15. For those cards, you can take the shroud off. It is for cosmetic purposes, but may hamper the performance. So I suggest you try both ways.
  16. I placed it back. I suspected it was there for a reason...to distribute the air and move the heat away to the back of the case. One things for sure...it was a lot easier to blow the cards out tho.
  17. yeah well why leave the covers of. they are there for a reason. even if may not make a big difference i still think its better to leave them on. they look cool, so why not?
  18. cool :)
  19. shovenose said:
    cool :)

Pun intended?

lol

Uber
  20. wow. i didnt even do that on purpose :)
  21. Honestly,

I lol'd really in class.

"wow. i didnt even do that on purpose :)"

I bet you didn't :p

jk

Uber
  22. lol
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Fan Graphics