Sign in with
Your question

WD: Black slow?

Last response: in Storage
August 12, 2012 7:46:41 AM

Hello community, i got bored and decided to test how fast my main hard drive was, and i was surprised by the results.
While running only the sequential test on AS-SSD it registered: Read-100mb/s Write-70mb/s.

Are these normal speeds for a western digital black 1tb? The computer in general is very snappy and quick but maybe not.
I've had the drive for about 7 months and have done monthly De-Frags and remove everything i don't use or need.

The motherboard i have is a MSI 890GXM-G65.
Does the benchmark suite matter, are there better ones or more accurate?

*I only ran the Seq bench because the other ones were taking 25min+ to finish.*

*This is my 5+ year old 500gb WD: Green*

More about : black slow

August 12, 2012 7:55:30 AM

Yes, those are very normal for A 7200rpm WD black and A slower WD green. AS far as the benchmark suite goes, "AS SSD" is primarily supposed to be for SSD's "Crystal Disk Mark" would be better for regular hard drives. :sol: 
m
l
August 12, 2012 7:59:23 AM

Ahh, ok. I was a bit worried something was wrong but i guess not. Thanks for the help and fast response.
m
l
Related resources
a c 131 G Storage
August 12, 2012 8:04:16 AM

just make sure you keep your mb chipset drivers up to date..those are the main drivers needed for the sata chipset on the mb.
m
l
August 12, 2012 8:18:54 AM

No problem, Even though that WD black is Sata III (i think) The Sata III 6.0Gb/s speed is just the speed the Sata III interface is capable of and has almost nothing to do with the speed a particular hard drive is capable of.

This is why a regular Sata III hard drive is no faster than a Sata II hard drive, because no regular hard drive can go fast enough to saturate a Sata II port. In-fact most can't even saturate a Sata I port.

While Sata III might help with the disks cache, the difference is so small I doubt any one could tell. At this point Sata III for a hard drive other than an SSD is more a marketing gimmick than anything else. :sol: 
m
l
!