tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Hi everyone,

I have this system...
emachines ET1161-03: http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=ET1161-03

And I just bought this RAM...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ISJ964

I thought I did my research but did I buy the wrong RAM? If not, can anyone think of any reason why I get blue screen PFN_LIST_CORRUPT messages? I reinstalled every piece of hardware one by one, it was definitely caused by the RAM. I've put the original dimms in there (2 x 512, 2 x 1GB) and it's all normal again, no crashes.

There's gotta be more to the specs that I don't know about. Perhaps it has something to do with Dual Channel slots that are on my motherboard (orange and purple). See, I have done SOME research. ;)

Any help would be awesome guys. I've got a 64-bit system and would LOVE to be able to use the new RAM I bought.

THanks!

Solution
Have you tried removing all the old memory and just running on the new? If you still have issues, then it would eliminate the Samsung/PNY possible conflict. It's possible that the 2 different speed modules are causing the problem.

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
The OS is fine. It's the RAM that keeps crashing out on me.

Sorry for the noob-ness but I've tried to do all the research I can. All I need to know (if someone would be kind enough to tell me) is whether the RAM I purchased is the right RAM for this computer. I have done all the research I can think of, I have even spoken to emachines reps who didn't want to help me because I was out of warranty and everything I've seen tells me there is no reason why this RAM shouldn't work. But when I put it in my system it causes crashes and the RAM that CAME with the system runs fine.

The system came with 2 512s and 2 1GBs. All Samsung, all PC2-5300. The ones I got are 2 2GBs and are PC2-6400, all PNY. But as far as I have read, that's not an issue. Could it be that PNY simply doesn't wanna play with the Samsungs? Is that something that occurs ever? Should I get 2 more PNYs to go with the ones I've already bought?

Any info would be awesome guys. I have the system ready, the 4GB of RAM that came with the system are fine but I just wanna use the new ones to bump up to 6GB.

THANK YOU!!!!

Have you tried removing all the old memory and just running on the new? If you still have issues, then it would eliminate the Samsung/PNY possible conflict. It's possible that the 2 different speed modules are causing the problem.

Solution

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Yeah, I tried that. Earlier today I ran a test ONLY running the new PNYs and it still crashed. I thought that maybe it wanted to have all four slots filled but I know that doesn't make sense. Then I tried to split them up and eventually that crashed as well.