Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD5670 Crashing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 12, 2010 2:34:38 PM

I just recently switched from an XFX nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS w/512 DDR3, to an XFX Radeon HD 5670 w/1024 DDR5. The system boots fine to the desktop, but if I bring up a browser, it may go black and kill the sound immediately, after 5 minutes, or after 20 minutes. It will also crash out of a game (Modern Warfare 2, Mass Effect 2) occasionally. It is not consistent. I returned the original 5670 and tried another with the same result. I have considered returning the second one and exchanging it for a different model, but I'd like to get some feedback from the forums on it. I've done a forum search, but couldn't find anything that really fit my issue.

I'm running the following:

Intel DP35DP mobo
Intel Q6600 cpu
4 GB Corsair DDR2 RAM
Ultra LSP650 PSU
Acer 24" LCD (1920x1200)
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit

XFX support was unable to diagnose a problem and had no suggestions. Could it be the card is PCIe 2.1, and the mobo is not compatible? All info I've seen says that the slot on the board will support PCIe 2.0. Also wondering if it could have something to do with the onboard sound controllers on the card since it kills the sound when the video dies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

More about : radeon hd5670 crashing

May 12, 2010 3:12:17 PM

My vote goes for insufficient power from the PSU. Is your power supply strong enough to support a beast like the HD5670?

Try borrowing a stronger PSU from a friend or an hardware store and see if that helps. If not, come back and we'll research some more.

Good luck :) 
m
l
May 12, 2010 3:18:53 PM

Can't imagine that a 650 Watt psu isn't strong enough. The card is actually designed as energy efficient, using only power from the board, with no external power input needed. Plus, I've gotten it to run 2 or 3 hours at a time playing Modern Warfare 2 without a problem. If it were the power, wouldn't it fail relatively quickly?
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2010 3:26:18 PM

@joegwiz,

Even though it's rated at 650 Watts, is it a brand name or some cheap knock off? Cheap knocks are notorious for not working well at all and providing sporadic performance problems like you've described.

Who is the manufacturer of your PSU and what is it's model #?

m
l
May 12, 2010 3:32:32 PM

The brand is Ultra, and the model is LSP650.
m
l
May 12, 2010 3:37:35 PM

Seems like it's gotten really good reviews.

I would check and ensure you have all the latest drivers for everything in your system (chipset, sound card, GPU, etc). I would uninstall them and reinstall the drivers to make sure.

I had a problem where Fallout 3 (already buggy enough) kept crashing on me. Turns out, it was my sound drivers. I uninstalled them and then reinstalled them and since then, it's been fine.

So, that could be the problem with you. You might want to look into your event logs as well and see what they say.
m
l
May 12, 2010 3:55:22 PM

The drivers were the first things I checked, and reinstalled. No joy.

Also looked at the event logs. No warnings or errors in any of them anywhere close to the times when it crashed. I do IT work for a living, so I checked a ton of stuff before admitting I couldn't figure it out and decided to post in the forum. :fou: 

I'm really leaning toward the motherboard maybe not being 100% PCI-e 2.0 compatible, but I can't find anything to back that up.
m
l
May 12, 2010 4:22:11 PM

I just stumbled upon a different forum where someone mentioned the board is PCI-e 1.1, not 2.0, so I'm wondering if the Radeon 5670 is just not fully backward compatible. It works some of the time, but not all of the time.
m
l
May 19, 2010 3:43:25 AM

I've just purchased and installed a new motherboard with a PCI-e 2.0 slot, and so far, no problems. So it seems that the XFX Radeon HD 5670 card is not 100% backward compatible with regard to older PCI-e slots.
m
l
May 19, 2010 12:00:24 PM

Cool! [:isamuelson:9]

Glad you got your problem solved.
m
l
!