Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H Motherboard
AMD Phenom II 1055T Six Core Processor
Corsair Dominator 4GB RAM
Western Digital Hard Drive
Ultra X-Blaster Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
Ultra 750-Watt Power Supply
Corsair Hydro H50 Liquid Cooler
LG Bluray Drive

I assembled the computer today, and to my knowledge everything is installed correctly. When I tried to boot, the computer powered up but my monitor only showed a black screen, not the bios setup I expected. There were no beeps of any kind on start up. I tried removing a stick of ram, and then removing both of them but nothing changed. The PSU was working, its fan was on and spinning. The fan on my GPU was also spinning. I don't think it's a power supply problem because everything seems to be getting power. The RAM appears to be functional. I can hear the processor making some noise and I checked to make sure it was firmly and properly in place. I can't seem to figure out what is keeping the computer from booting.

Does anyone know what my problem is? I'm thinking my motherboard may be bad.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

More about : motherboard dead

June 19, 2010 7:43:50 PM

Thanks for the help jsc.

Everything appears to be getting power. Is it possible that my PSU could still be faulty even if the fans, front LEDS, and my bluray drive are fully functional?
Related resources
June 19, 2010 8:18:37 PM

Yes.

Try to borrow a known good PSU. If you cannot do that, borrow a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if
it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.
June 19, 2010 9:13:14 PM

If the system powers up I'd first try the more obvious:

1.try the GPU with the same cabling and monitor on a different system(if that is possible).

2.breadbox

3. Do you have system speaker? If you don't get one I think they cost around 3dollars and ussually identify the problem.
June 19, 2010 9:37:22 PM

I do have another PSU but it's only 400W so I don't think it'll be of much help. I'll just have to borrow a DMM and test it I suppose. Thanks again for the help.

somebody_007: I did as you said and tested the GPU on another system and had no problems. I've tried plugging in the monitor to my new build through the GPU and also the integrated DVI port but niether showed any success. And yes I do have a power speaker as well. The only sound I get on start up is what I believe is the hard drive powering up, it doesn't sound like much of a beep but I don't know for sure. If it is a beep, it's a single beep that lasts about 2-3 secs.

I've also tried booting the system with a single stick of RAM, both sticks in, and no sticks but nothing changed.

Once again, all the help is appreciated.
June 19, 2010 9:44:03 PM

If the other psu doesn't work. I think the mobo is dead. Don't be fooled by the system turning on I had a system doing exactly the same and the mobo there was broken too(short-circuited somewhere permanently)
June 19, 2010 9:53:01 PM

I'm going to get a DMM to check my PSU and if that isn't the problem I'll be calling Gigabyte on Monday to see if they can help me determine if the motherboard is dead.

Thanks for the help you guys
June 19, 2010 10:19:32 PM

Does your current BIOS support the CPU!!

The 1055 is pretty new, so if the board needs a newer BIOS than what it ships with to support that CPU it is probably not going to post. X6 CPUs need the F5 BIOS for that board, but for all other CPUs it lists F2. That leads me to believe it ships with the F2 BIOS and thus won't accept your CPU without a BIOS update
June 20, 2010 1:06:08 AM

Photos, get us photos as many as you can close up of all components upload to imageshack.us use the forum link (think it is the 3rd link down after you upload and post em here)
June 20, 2010 7:25:34 AM

megamanx states a very good point. Check if the bios supports it and if you're not sure try a different AM3 cpu in it(if thats possible).
June 20, 2010 8:34:42 AM

Yeah now that you've mentioned that, I went back to read the customer reviews on the motherboard, and after sorting through a few pages I found a few posts of some guys who said they had to flash the bios to F5 or F6 in order for it to work. I've never had to flash a bios before, can anyone post a link for a guide on how to do it? And also, is that something I'll be able to do if I can't access the BIOS set up? As requested I'll be posting some pictures tomorrow morning, maybe they'll be of some help.

Once again, your help is invaluable, I really do appreciate it.
June 20, 2010 8:46:49 AM

If that is the problem don't bother posting pictures. I think you need another cpu to update the BIOS.
June 20, 2010 7:32:43 PM

How would I go about updating the BIOS? I honestly have no idea.

If anyone could post a link to a good guide that could walk me through it, that would be awesome.

Thanks
June 22, 2010 11:27:05 PM

Basically go to the gigabyte web page, look up your specific board, click on the BIOS link, and follow the instructions. Obviously you can't use @BIOS since you don't have an OS installed, so you have to use the BIOS utility and make a bootable flash drive or CD. I guess you could also install a floppy, but who does that now adays :p .

You generally need to POST first to flash the BIOS. A few ASUS boards prove to be the exception though. Anyway, you can buy or borrow a cheap AM3 CPU, like an Athlon II 240, and POST it to Flash the BIOS. Afterward you can sell said chip on craigs list or eBay, though probably at a loss.
!