Sign in with
Your question

32 Computer Monitor vs 32" TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 12, 2010 3:23:07 PM

Hello,
I need to know which is the best way to go for xbox gaming. They will be playing Super Street-fighter so I am concerned about LAG. Which is the best Monitor seems everyone likes Samsung and TV Sony? Lets fight it out TV's or Monitors for xboxes?

More about : computer monitor

May 12, 2010 3:32:14 PM

Depends; Aside from the connectivity aspects (mainly component inputs and speakers for TV's, which MOST moniters do not have), it comes down to manufacture process.

TV's generally have much higher response times, which make them unsuitable for gaming. That trend is starting to change though, as I've found LCD TV's with Response Times under 3ms now...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039RV0JQ/ref=s9_simh...

Something like this is what I'm getting in the very near future, and once I get it, I'd be able to do a better comparision. [As a note: I needed a moniter/TV with built in Dolby decoding, so I had to go the TV route].
m
l
a c 76 C Monitor
May 13, 2010 6:13:13 PM

@gamerk316: response time is distinct from input lag, which is what I think stewtria is worried about.

I think other considerations, like budget model vs. enthusiast model, or CRT vs. LCD, would make a bigger difference to input lag than whether the screen was sold as a TV or as a monitor. Also, where do you draw the line between a TV and a monitor? A screen sold as one type can be used as the other, or even both, if it has the right connection types (or you get an adapter) - I normally have my Xbox 360 (plus several other game consoles through a switch, and my computer) connected to my Gateway XHD3000 (though it's currently away for repair), which has DVI, VGA, HDMI, Component, S-Video, and Composite connections. I imagine a 32 inch screen is more likely to be sold as a TV than as a monitor, because "monitor" somewhat implies it will be on a desktop, and it may be difficult to clear enough desk space to fit a monitor that big, whereas a TV can have its own stand (or even be mounted on the wall)
m
l
!