Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a H67 board with a good efficiency & good fan controller

Last response: in Motherboards
March 16, 2011 8:15:35 AM

Hi together

I'm building a pc setup with the new sandy bridge cpus. It's an office pc which runs 24h / day. So, really necessary for me is a good power efficiency and for a silent setup a good fan controller.

I also want to have a full size atx board with integrated graphic and USB 3.

Which board manufactors are known for good efficiency and a good fan controller?
a c 107 V Motherboard
March 16, 2011 8:33:57 AM

There are no noticeable differences between the different manufacturers when it comes to efficiency. The Sandy Bridge plus Cougar Point (H67/P67) platform is the most efficient ever, so you don't have to worry about such things.

I haven't seen a separate fan controller included with any board. You usually have to buy those from other companies.

Or do you mean the normal fan headers that are built into every board?

Just pick a reliable brand like ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, or MSI. You should get an H67 board so you can use the processor graphics that are built into every Sandy Bridge CPU.
March 16, 2011 8:34:54 AM

The MSI P67A-GD65 board that i have has a MSI Control Center software so you can adjust the fan speed or see cpu temps from windows. Also comes with a USB 3.0 bracket to attached to the back of the case. So far the motherboard has been good...Had it for 8 days so far.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its a P67 though...

Related resources
March 16, 2011 8:58:56 AM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
There are no noticeable differences between the different manufacturers when it comes to efficiency. The Sandy Bridge plus Cougar Point (H67/P67) platform is the most efficient ever, so you don't have to worry about such things.

I haven't seen a separate fan controller included with any board. You usually have to buy those from other companies.

Or do you mean the normal fan headers that are built into every board?

Just pick a reliable brand like ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, or MSI. You should get an H67 board so you can use the processor graphics that are built into every Sandy Bridge CPU.

Yes, I mean the normal fan headers. But I've read, that not all manufactors have reasonable settings for these fans in the BIOS.

Has anyone experience with an Intel (as board manufactor) board? Does Intel has reasonable settins for the fan headers?
a c 107 V Motherboard
March 16, 2011 1:42:17 PM

The fans you use are far more important than the settings for the fan headers in the BIOS. If you want silence, you need to choose silent fans like Noctua brand -- even at full speed they are very quiet.
!