Amd phenom 3.4 ghz without heatsink

Will it run? Or will it overheat and shut off? (this is without heatsink and thermal paste)
11 answers Last reply
More about phenom heatsink
  1. it will overheat very quickly and shut off
  2. u may damage ur cpu by doing so........ :non:
  3. I would be surprised if the computer even made it 5minutes before shutting off, and intentionally overheating a cpu like that could damage it.
  4. I dont see why u would run it without a heatsink. But yes it would damage your cpu.
  5. very smart question :sarcastic:
  6. It was a bet with my friend. He laughed at me because he said computers don't need thermal paste (by heatsink thats what i mean') I mean, most do.. but I guess some older ones don't..
  7. Even older ones needed it. Some didn't have it but it was needed. In fact I took a PC class that had AMD K-6 2s and we used cheap thermal paste.

It makes a world of difference too.
  8. 5 minutes will be an eternity. I've turned on a PC without a HS just to see if it would post. In the time it took to turn on and post, I kept my finger on the exposed CPU. It was already hot. not quite hot enough to burn, but that was only after about 10 seconds. I would wager that it would either turn off or die in less than 30 s.

About the thermal paste, it isn't technically needed, but it IS very useful. If a heat sink is clamped onto a cpu right, it will conduct enough heat away for your processor to work fine. Thermal paste (basically) adds more contact area so that more heat can be transferred.
  9. Arigo said:
    It was a bet with my friend. He laughed at me because he said computers don't need thermal paste (by heatsink thats what i mean') I mean, most do.. but I guess some older ones don't..

So you actually mean with a heatsink and fan but without thermal compound?
    It would post. It would run. It would just run hot to very hot depending on the CPU. I did a bunch of experiments with and old Athlon 64 3200+. It ran 10*C hotter without compound. I also removed the heatsink, slowly, during operation. It auto shut down somewhere above 115*C.
  10. enzo matrix said:
    I also removed the heatsink, slowly, during operation. It auto shut down somewhere above 115*C.

:o
    did you want to check if the cpu catches fire? :p
    like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nU_rvVEna4
  11. sarwar_r87 said:
    :o
    did you want to check if the cpu catches fire? :p
    like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nU_rvVEna4

It's an Athlon 64. AMD got protection by then. A shutdown when it reaches the TJmax.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Thermal Compound Heatsinks Overheat AMD Phenom