Amd phenom 3.4 ghz without heatsink

Arigo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
It was a bet with my friend. He laughed at me because he said computers don't need thermal paste (by heatsink thats what i mean') I mean, most do.. but I guess some older ones don't..

KBentley57

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
5 minutes will be an eternity. I've turned on a PC without a HS just to see if it would post. In the time it took to turn on and post, I kept my finger on the exposed CPU. It was already hot. not quite hot enough to burn, but that was only after about 10 seconds. I would wager that it would either turn off or die in less than 30 s.

About the thermal paste, it isn't technically needed, but it IS very useful. If a heat sink is clamped onto a cpu right, it will conduct enough heat away for your processor to work fine. Thermal paste (basically) adds more contact area so that more heat can be transferred.

So you actually mean with a heatsink and fan but without thermal compound?
It would post. It would run. It would just run hot to very hot depending on the CPU. I did a bunch of experiments with and old Athlon 64 3200+. It ran 10*C hotter without compound. I also removed the heatsink, slowly, during operation. It auto shut down somewhere above 115*C.