Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Socket 775 processor & 460 gtx

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Socket
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 18, 2010 3:20:40 PM

A few days ago I posted in the laptop section that my brother was looking for a sub $1000 rig, but I also suggested if he couldn't afford it, maybe he could upgrade a few components to make his system last a little longer. He's got a socket 775 and using a Core Duo 6700 and a BFG 275gtx. Another friend of ours mentioned he could just upgrade his cpu to a quad core and maybe do sli, and I mentioned maybe he could upgrade his cpu and get a gtx 460 (I believe I've read somewhere in these forums that the 460 is an awesome card). My question is, as I'm unfamiliar with socket 775 cpus, would a 460 be bottlenecked by a cpu of this socket? What quad core cpus are good for this socket? If I were to guess a budget I'd say sub $500, but if he could get away with just upgrading the gpu or the cpu for now to improve performance in games I think he'd be happy. BTW he plays games at 1920x1080 res and games like Civ VI, The Settlers, CoH and a few other rpgs. Thanks.

More about : socket 775 processor 460 gtx

a b à CPUs
August 18, 2010 3:35:39 PM

Q9550 would be a nice upgrade.
GTX460 wont be bottlenecked by it.
It would be less than $500.

Then ask you friend to wait for Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge and make a complete new build later! :) 
Score
0
Related resources
August 18, 2010 4:11:53 PM

Sorry guys, maybe I wasn't too clear. The $500 budget I stated was for both a cpu and gpu, I don't think he'd be willing to spend $300 on a new cpu for a socket 775.
Score
0

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 18, 2010 4:19:44 PM

I don't know about that link...
But here's a 9550 at lesser cost:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The thing is that all remaining quads from the previous generations are expensive now. You can get a complete upgrade of the whole PC. That would be better than upgrading to the same platform.
Share
a b à CPUs
August 18, 2010 4:26:55 PM

The GTX460 is on par with the GTX275, so "upgrading" would just be taking a step sideways.

Getting a 775 CPU for over $200 is just wasting money IMO.
Rather go AMD, this is a great option for the price, though Nvidia chipsets aren't the best, 955+980a $270:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 18, 2010 4:32:49 PM

I would recommend that your brother NOT upgrade and just wait a little longer to do a complete rebuild. In my opinion the rig is too old to pour money into and too new to toss out.

If he has to do something, I would probably just switch the GPU. The jump from a 275 to a 460 isn't that huge, but he may be running into an issue with the 275 not having that 1GB of ram when he cranks up the eye candy. Look into grabbing a 5850 or a 470 for a bigger bump up.


Score
0
August 18, 2010 4:37:38 PM

calinkula said:
I would recommend that your brother NOT upgrade and just wait a little longer to do a complete rebuild. In my opinion the rig is too old to pour money into and too new to toss out.

If he has to do something, I would probably just switch the GPU. The jump from a 275 to a 460 isn't that huge, but he may be running into an issue with the 275 not having that 1GB of ram when he cranks up the eye candy. Look into grabbing a 5850 or a 470 for a bigger bump up.


I'm of this mindset as well, only because I know his system is oldish (2-3 yrs for a socket 775?) and quad core amd's are cheap and pretty much kickass. I'm trying to convince him to build from the ground up again, but I think he's getting antsy lol
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 18, 2010 9:33:09 PM

High end LGA 775 CPUs still keep up today (especially in gaming), if you can get a decent deal.

If you guys live near a MicroCenter you can get a Q9550 (beats any phenom II quadcore FYI, when overclocking) for under $200 (assuming they still have them). That is most definitely worth it. :) 

Also, and most importantly, the GTX 275 isn't too far behind the GTX 460 in performance. So unless $200 for DX11 is worth it to ya go for something faster (like a 470).

You see lots of love for the GTX 460 because it's value during SLI is unbeatable.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 18, 2010 9:56:01 PM

Tigerdirect has better prices (SOMETIMES) on things than Newegg.
q8400 169.99 ships today
q8300 149.99 ships with delay

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

If you have a overclocking capable m/b especially a high end one, its a possible upgrade path still.
Score
0
August 18, 2010 10:34:28 PM

I'll have to ask him what mobo he has. He said it's an evga, but not sure of the model. Hopefully I'll get some answers tonight from him.
Score
0
August 19, 2010 1:08:26 AM

u people think 775 is dead :non:  ??? i don't think so..... tell me any game or application that cry when running on a core2Quad and run's smoothly on i series..(i3 is not in the story)... and abt the upgrade path... it does not matter that much.....cause one can directly build a whole new rig in 2011 with either bulldozer or sandy bridge..... :sol: 
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 19, 2010 7:52:57 AM

I guess dead would mean in the production sense and upgrade path. The LGA775 is hardly in production these days. I mailed to Intel once about their plans to pull off the 775's from the production line. They replied back saying that would be determined on the demand and there's no fixed timeline when they would completely pull the plug!

High end's still do the job quite well. The Q9650 and all can compete with the i7's as well in gaming.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 19, 2010 9:53:05 AM

If it's an older motherboard, there might be compatibility issues to think about. I'd be very hard pressed to spend money on a 775 CPU right now with Sandy Bridge coming out soon. (I've been buying my loose CPUz from ewiz.com lately, good deals on OEM's though their 775 stock is getting thin.)


An Athlon II x3 with a cheap AM2+ board might be interesting, since it's probably DDR2 RAM. You could also play ACC-roulette with it too.

Also, is your E6700 properly overclocked? It should be getting 3.4 Ghz+. Some good cheap cooling might go a ways.

The video card is fine. BFG's 275 GTX only comes in 896MB (or 1.75 GB); odd, but frame buffer shouldn't be an issue.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 19, 2010 1:45:30 PM

I would try to sell the stuff and if I get a good price I would change the platform. With $500 + $300 (?) he can get a very smart rig (mobo/CPU/RAM) and a, say, HD 5870.
Score
0
August 19, 2010 3:35:11 PM

rohn_avni said:
u people think 775 is dead :non:  ??? i don't think so..... tell me any game or application that cry when running on a core2Quad and run's smoothly on i series..(i3 is not in the story)... and abt the upgrade path... it does not matter that much.....cause one can directly build a whole new rig in 2011 with either bulldozer or sandy bridge..... :sol: 

Your so dead right! ae:my e8600 stock! and will upgrade to q9650 with a ssd........... the i"s are not all that! all of you must be made of money!
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 19, 2010 3:36:41 PM

asus x48 said:
Your so dead right! ae:my e8600 stock! and will upgrade to q9650 with a ssd........... the i"s are not all that! all of you must be made of money!

But a Q9650 costs more than a X4 955+Mobo or i5 750+Mobo yet performs slightly worse.
:pt1cable: 
Score
0
August 19, 2010 3:43:38 PM

Stardude82 said:
Also, is your E6700 properly overclocked? It should be getting 3.4 Ghz+. Some good cheap cooling might go a ways.


I'm sure it isn't OC'ed, I don't think he's ever experimented with it before. And I forgot to ask him the check his mobo specs. He's pretty torn as to what path he should take, but I'm starting to lean towards having him just wait it out a few months and see what's going to be released. This might give him better options for building a new rig. OCing the cpu might be a good option to increase performance for now.
Score
0
August 19, 2010 5:07:26 PM

Timop said:
But a Q9650 costs more than a X4 955+Mobo or i5 750+Mobo yet performs slightly worse.
:pt1cable: 

Not if you sell it on e-b_y what you have now to help pay for your new cpu. The going rate for my e8600 is $200.00 a new q9650 is $319.99 oem.Ps: That's for an used overclocked to hell and back e8600 mine has never!. From who whould you buy it from. (I.M.O. overclocking is foolish) If you buy the fastest up front then you dont need to overclock how many of you killed a mobo,cpu. with in 3mos.to one year from overclocking?. All have to do is look at buddy's.What does the mobo co.'s have to say about that? That will keep you at the $500.00 mark and you will still have fast computer!.Two years old and still work's with overclocking and with a upgrade to a q9650 and a ssd she will still be a fast computer.. I thank you and good day also best of luck to sir.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 19, 2010 5:09:50 PM

asus x48 said:
Not if you sell it on e-b_y what you have now to help pay for your new cpu. The going rate for my e8600 is $200.00 a new q9650 is $319.99 oem.Ps: That's for an used overclocked to hell and back e8600 mine has never!. From who whould you buy it from. (I.M.O. overclocking is foolish) If you buy the fastest up front then you dont need to overclock how many of you killed a mobo,cpu. with in 3mos.to one year from overclocking?. All have to do is look at buddy's.What does the mobo co.'s have to say about that? That will keep you at the $500.00 mark and you will still have fast computer!.Two years old and still work's with overclocking and with a upgrade to a q9650 and a ssd she will still be a fast computer.. I thank you and good day also best of luck to sir.

On Ebay the 750 is $160, with an $150 Mobo its $10 cheaper than the Q9650 and you get shiny new stuff.
Also you get to sell your Mobo for $80 in which it brings the cost saving up to almost $100.

Even without OC, the 750 beats the Q9650.
Score
0
August 19, 2010 5:10:10 PM

That's with out overclocking.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 19, 2010 5:34:06 PM

E8600 with no OC eh?

Pretty sure that CPU hits 4ghz on stock volts. Stock volts meaning little added heat. If little heat is added degration is minimal. That's why it costed you so much, its OC abilities. I could get an E8400 and put it to 3.33ghz and likely do absolutely nothing to its lifespan or quality. (This is why NOT overclocking is foolish, IMO) :) 

I have yet to fry anything but I've seen it done. If you follow the guidelines, know your hardware, and don't shoot for the stars you'll rarely have issues.
Score
0
August 20, 2010 1:06:50 AM

Timop said:
On Ebay the 750 is $160, with an $150 Mobo its $10 cheaper than the Q9650 and you get shiny new stuff.
Also you get to sell your Mobo for $80 in which it brings the cost saving up to almost $100.

Even without OC, the 750 beats the Q9650.

still then he has to buy a kit of DDR 3, again new expense..... wht abt that...huh :pfff: 
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 1:59:51 AM

rohn_avni said:
still then he has to buy a kit of DDR 3, again new expense..... wht abt that...huh :pfff: 

Thus If he goes for a Phenom 955+ AM2+ Mobo, he could use existing DDR2.

However, using the $80 he gets from selling his Mobo and $60 he gets for selling 4GB of DDR2 (assuming he has these), he could buy an amazing kit of DDR3 RAM.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 2:56:33 AM

Sigh...to start out, by my definition of dead, 775 IS dead.

  • Cant OC as high as most modern cpus, as well as runs hotter
  • Costs more and performs less
  • Motherboards use primitive technology
  • No real advancements have been made in the CPU family
  • Most use older ddr2 RAM, which is just as dead as 775
  • Absolutely 0 upgrade path, and yes, its useful, people DO care

    I can likely think of a few more reasons why its dead. Why spend $200-300 on a 775 CPU, when a AMD cpu that costs half as much outperforms it???

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/50?vs=88

    955 beating 9550.

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/54?vs=122

    635 beating a 8600. So lets see, we have a $100 AMD cpu beating a $289 775 cpu, and above we have a $150 AMD cpu beating a $280 775 CPU. Tough choice. Lets not forget you can easily get a good AM3 8xx mobo for $100-150, easily less. Why pour money into obsolete technology with no real upgrade path???

    Score
    0
    August 20, 2010 3:38:34 AM

    Wow this has turned into an interesting discussion, much more so than I expected. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. If it were me, I think I'd go with a new build, an amd platform for the most bang for buck.
    Score
    0
    August 20, 2010 4:15:39 AM

    ares1214 said:
    Sigh...to start out, by my definition of dead, 775 IS dead.

  • Cant OC as high as most modern cpus, as well as runs hotter
  • Costs more and performs less
  • Motherboards use primitive technology
  • No real advancements have been made in the CPU family
  • Most use older ddr2 RAM, which is just as dead as 775
  • Absolutely 0 upgrade path, and yes, its useful, people DO care

    I can likely think of a few more reasons why its dead. Why spend $200-300 on a 775 CPU, when a AMD cpu that costs half as much outperforms it???

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/50?vs=88

    955 beating 9550.

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/54?vs=122

    635 beating a 8600. So lets see, we have a $100 AMD cpu beating a $289 775 cpu, and above we have a $150 AMD cpu beating a $280 775 CPU. Tough choice. Lets not forget you can easily get a good AM3 8xx mobo for $100-150, easily less. Why pour money into obsolete technology with no real upgrade path???
  • Maybe in stock
    Not a e8600 running at 4.5-to 5ghz with ddr3 memory. 90%Of games like clockspeed not more cores God bless and good day.
    Score
    0
    August 20, 2010 5:08:02 AM

    Raidur said:
    E8600 with no OC eh?

    Pretty sure that CPU hits 4ghz on stock volts. Stock volts meaning little added heat. If little heat is added degration is minimal. That's why it costed you so much, its OC abilities. I could get an E8400 and put it to 3.33ghz and likely do absolutely nothing to its lifespan or quality. (This is why NOT overclocking is foolish, IMO) :) 

    I have yet to fry anything but I've seen it done. If you follow the guidelines, know your hardware, and don't shoot for the stars you'll rarely have issues.

    Yes you are right but tell that to the asus tech's who sees that every day on ther repair bench. "oh i didnt overclock it". It came that way from you guys!. As a o.d.p.eq.cert.tech my self.
    Score
    0
    August 20, 2010 5:26:20 AM

    Then go to your local computer shop's as i have and talk to them.while they lol about ther customers screw up's. I know it's wrong but it's true. Because they come up with a lot of pure bs in trying to bs a good tech who knows ther bis. And yes some are dell's,hp,etc, but they also do get the hi end custom builds as well. I thank you and i bid you a very good day.
    Score
    0
    a b à CPUs
    August 20, 2010 12:43:58 PM

    Ok, you say "Oh just OC it!" and you get great performance! Well then I say "Unlock the 555 and oc it 600-800 MHz, then ya get great performance too!" To be honest, most games can be maxed by a X3 440 and i3 530, not even counting the fact they have great OC potential. Difference is those 2 you can upgrade (AM3 much more than 1156) and a 775 you cant. Most games dont use 4 cores in any event, and the CPU he has now is more than sufficient is overclocked a bit. A GTX 460, dont get me wrong, is a great card, but isnt worth a $200-230 upgrade over a GTX 275, as the performance isnt much better. I say just wait until Sandy Bridge (not very impressed to be honest) and Bulldozer (not enough info out) come out, and then maybe wait for Southern Island 6xxx series, or for NV to finish off their series. Thats the best idea if you ask me, but with a CPU like that, 775 is a DEAD END.
    Score
    0
    a c 133 à CPUs
    August 20, 2010 1:00:50 PM

    The Phenom II x4 955 is slower then a Q9550 which you can find around $200 should just pop right into the motherboard then call it a day because I see no point in upgrading the 275 to a 460 now running a 275 sli setup would be good. I am willing to bet though you throw a higher clocked core 2 quad core in there you wont need a gpu upgrade.

    Cost of new AMD motherboard and CPU will be over $250 since most likely he gonna want a board with SLI capabilities which will drive the cost up more. If its a good 775 board and has all the features you want I say just upgrade to the core 2 quad moving onto a new platform will run you alot more money and will offer not that much performance gain over the high end core 2 quad.
    Score
    0
    a b à CPUs
    August 20, 2010 1:39:51 PM

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=50

    9550 and 955 are tied at best. You might be able to find a used one for $200. Doesnt change the fact you will HAVE to upgrade later, and so you are throwing away $200 or $280 right now. Also, the CPU he has now, if he overclocked it even a little bit can easily do just about everything very well, keeping it to normal web usage, Office, and gaming. Upgrading to a quad wont let you see much difference.

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=50

    still doesnt change the fact that even if you can get it for $200, it get blown away by the i5, also for $200.
    Score
    0
    August 21, 2010 4:25:38 AM

    Is this mobo ddr2 with max of 1200ghz oc? if so then hold off. can't match his fsb on the q9650 fsb 1333. Cpu bottlenecked by memory. Mine is not. max ddr3 1600 p5e3 pro x48 with 8gb's of ddr3 1333 and cl of 8 stock.
    Score
    0
    a c 133 à CPUs
    August 21, 2010 3:00:31 PM

    asus x48 said:
    Is this mobo ddr2 with max of 1200ghz oc? if so then hold off. can't match his fsb on the q9650 fsb 1333. Cpu bottlenecked by memory. Mine is not. max ddr3 1600 p5e3 pro x48 with 8gb's of ddr3 1333 and cl of 8 stock.

    That is not how it works the ram will not bottleneck the CPU there is very very slight difference in performance from ddr2 800 and ddr3 1333 in reality ddr2 667 is all you need for a cpu with a 1333mhz fsb since its base clock is 333mhz. Please refrain from posting responses if you don't know thanks.
    Score
    0
    a b à CPUs
    August 21, 2010 3:48:01 PM

    Yeah, thats not really how it works at all.
    Score
    0
    August 31, 2010 11:42:18 PM

    Bumpage.

    How would 275gtx sli'd compare with a 460?
    Score
    0
    a b à CPUs
    September 1, 2010 1:24:52 AM

    This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
    Score
    0
    September 1, 2010 3:13:15 PM

    Best answer selected by thestrangebrew.
    Score
    0
    !