Closed Solved

Need a new case and PSU

I'm looking into a new case and PSU for my computer and I wanted to get your recommendations.

For the case, I dont' want to spend more than 150 if you go over 150 please tell me why.
Also, space isn't an issue for me so should I get a mid tower or full tower?
I was thinking about this case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

For the PSU, I was thinking of this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

If you know of any modular ones that are of similar quality and price, let me know.

btw, my current set up is an i7-920, HD4850, and 6GB of ram should I be looking at 750 or 850 watts if I want to be upgrade proof in the future?

Thanks
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need case
  1. The PSU is fine. The link for the cabinet i am not able to open as i am in office. But you can get the HAF-X at $150 i think now. That is the best. Get a full tower if you have the budget! Always.
  2. Thanks for the reply I'll look at some full towers and see what I like.
  3. Case linked was a storm scout.

    The HAF X is probably the best aircooled case out right now.

    The Scout is nice. The Sniper is a little bit bigger/better.

    Corsair is releasing their 600T soon, should be a really nice case from the looks of things. Lian Li makes some good cases under 150.

    Really depends exactly what your aiming for.

    That PSU is good btw, perfect choice.

    What components are going in?
  4. Petey1013 said:
    Case linked was a storm scout.

    The HAF X is probably the best aircooled case out right now.

    The Scout is nice. The Sniper is a little bit bigger/better.

    Corsair is releasing their 600T soon, should be a really nice case from the looks of things. Lian Li makes some good cases under 150.

    Really depends exactly what your aiming for.

    That PSU is good btw, perfect choice.

    What components are going in?

    I added it to my original post but this is the core system.

    i7-920, HD4850, and 6GB of ram should I be looking at 750 or 850 watts if I want to be upgrade proof in the future?
  5. Timop said:

    I just want a future proof PSU that will let me add in more powerful cards and maybe use crossfire or SLI
  6. davcon said:

    so a 750 watt PSU should be fine for me? and how are xfx psus? when i think of psus i don't think of xfx
  7. Best answer
    2real said:
    I dont' know much about seasonic but the xfx psu is about 30 cheaper than the corsair. Should I get the xfx over the corsair just because it's cheaper?

    That's entirely up to you but here's how i would put it in perspective.
    The 750w and 850w Corsair's have a 7yr warranty as opposed to the XFX 5 yr warranty.
    The Corsair HX750/850 are 80+ Gold units and the XFX units are 80+ Silver rated.
    I would pay $30 more for the extra 2yr warranty coverage and the energy savings would add up over 7 years not by much but still realized.
    Funny thing about Newegg they revamp their website and still include mistakes like listing the HX's as silver rated.
    http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_detail.aspx?id=25&type=2
  8. davcon said:
    That's entirely up to you but here's how i would put it in perspective.
    The 750w and 850w Corsair's have a 7yr warranty as opposed to the XFX 5 yr warranty.
    The Corsair HX750/850 are 80+ Gold units and the XFX units are 80+ Silver rated.
    I would pay $30 more for the extra 2yr warranty coverage and the energy savings would add up over 7 years not by much but still realized.
    Funny thing about Newegg they revamp their website and still include mistakes like listing the HX's as silver rated.
    http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_detail.aspx?id=25&type=2

    The HX650/750 aren't really 80 Plus Gold, Its is only 0.04% over the 80Plus gold requirements and can technically be included within the margin of error.

    The official statement from Corsair is this:
    Quote:
    We designed the HX750W and HX850W to the 80Plus Silver specification. We were very pleased when we learned that the HX750/850W units tested by 80Plus qualified for 80Plus Gold certification. We believe that this honor reflects the engineering efforts we put into every product. The HX750/850W didn’t simply meet the Silver specification to which it was designed; it outperformed it.

    However, the margin by which the test unit fell into the Gold specification was not large enough to ensure that every HX750/850W we produce will also qualify for Gold certification. We believe in standing behind our products; we cannot make a marketing claim based on test results that were so close to the edge of the Gold and Silver specifications. Because of this, we have chosen to market the HX750/850W as Silver, not Gold.
  9. Timop said:
    The HX650/750 aren't really 80 Plus Gold, Its is only 0.04% over the 80Plus gold requirements and can technically be included within the margin of error.

    The official statement from Corsair is this:
    Quote:
    We designed the HX750W and HX850W to the 80Plus Silver specification. We were very pleased when we learned that the HX750/850W units tested by 80Plus qualified for 80Plus Gold certification. We believe that this honor reflects the engineering efforts we put into every product. The HX750/850W didn’t simply meet the Silver specification to which it was designed; it outperformed it.

    However, the margin by which the test unit fell into the Gold specification was not large enough to ensure that every HX750/850W we produce will also qualify for Gold certification. We believe in standing behind our products; we cannot make a marketing claim based on test results that were so close to the edge of the Gold and Silver specifications. Because of this, we have chosen to market the HX750/850W as Silver, not Gold.

    Fair enough but that's Corsair's PR department being modest.
    As you can see from my link 80+org nonetheless lists them as Gold and there the governing authority for the rating system.
  10. I think i'll go with the 750 watt psu from Corsair unless anyone has any outstanding on why I should get the xfx.
  11. Best answer selected by 2real.
  12. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cases Computer Components Product