Solved Closed

My computer isn't detecting my hard drive

I just built a computer and i have an ssd and a mechanical hard drive my ssd is working but my computer isn't using the mechanical hard drive i can't find it on device manager. What should i do please respond.
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer detecting hard drive
  1. Did you go into Control Panel, Administrative tools, disk management and initialize the disk and assign it a drive letter? It won't show up in Windows until you do this.
  2. It might be OFFLINE - Disk Management, right-click the drive, then ONLINE
  3. none of that is working
  4. Is it listed in the BIOS? If not, then a cable is probably not connected properly (power or SATA)
    do you have the power daisy chained from anything else in the computer?
  5. yes its connected to power i will try a different sata data cable
  6. i know you can enter bios but it flashes to fast for me because it is on the ssd but in control panel it isn't detected is their another way to enter bios
  7. emperor piehead said:
    i know you can enter bios but it flashes to fast for me because it is on the ssd but in control panel it isn't detected is their another way to enter bios

yes, u start pressing the key as soon as the computer turns off, and continuously as it boots
  8. okay i'm in bios now where do i go
  9. I have no idea what your BIOS menu structure is - im sure you can find an online guide at the manufacturers website

Go into where it shows what drives are connected and if you don't see it, then theres a problem
  10. i went under boot and there were my dvd drive and my ssd but not the hdd
  11. emperor piehead said:
    i went under boot and there were my dvd drive and my ssd but not the hdd

Does the drive spin up? If you can, try to put your hand on it or listen to it to tell if it spins or not.
  12. yes it does spin up when i start my computer it sounds a bit funny but then it sounds like it should
  13. emperor piehead said:
    yes it does spin up when i start my computer it sounds a bit funny but then it sounds like it should

Funny? Funny how?
  14. it makes this kind of high pitch noise every few seconds for about 2 minutes but you have to hear for it
  15. emperor piehead said:
    it makes this kind of high pitch noise every few seconds for about 2 minutes but you have to hear for it

Interesting...
  16. there s a coputer repair shop near me should i try them tomorrow
  17. Best answer
    the best way to check for sure thats its spinning is to put the most sensitive part of the body in on top of the hard drive..if you feel something.. it must be spinning... do it for 5-15 mins just to be sure..its best for an IT to check it physically..knowing whether it spins or not..wouldn't really matter.
  18. Best answer selected by emperor piehead.
  19. jitpublisher said:
    Did you go into Control Panel, Administrative tools, disk management and initialize the disk and assign it a drive letter? It won't show up in Windows until you do this.

I have the same problem. I made it to disk management though, how do I initialize it and assign it a letter?

Let me fix that, I have the same initial problem, the drive is working absolutely fine, when I configure BIOS its says its connected in port 0 and working fine, but when I click start, then computer it won't show up. how do I initialize it and assign a letter?
  20. Just love threads where the answer was found, and on this particular thread OVER 4 YEARS AGO! Yet folks are still trying to provide answers. Just say'n! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD Computer Storage