Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA OR ATI FOR TRANSCODING

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 12, 2010 6:06:33 PM

I am looking at getting a new video card. I do little gaming however i do a fair amount of transcoding. I use powerdirector 8, dvdfab, convertxtodvd, among others. I know nvidia uses cuda and ati uses stream for utilizing gpu. It appears alot of programs appear to use cuda and some have adopted stream albeit at a slower adoption rate. Will the gpu make a difference with these types of uses? Which would I be better off with, ATI or NVIDIA? Do you have any suggestions for a card where gaming is not much of a consideration? Thank you in advance,

btw, I have a dated setup with a core 2 duo e6600, a p5w deluxe mb, and a 750w power supply currently using a 7600GT

Jasson

More about : nvidia ati transcoding

May 12, 2010 6:12:18 PM

I'm in a similar situation. I've been using Badaboom on an 8800GT for some time now, and it's good for what it does. I just posted in the article suggestion area that it'd be great to see a followup article to compare the different GPGPU encoding options that are out there. Most of the information that I've found is from the middle of 2009, and I'm sure that the situation has changed quite a bit.
m
l
May 12, 2010 6:29:44 PM

Yeah, everything Ive found is similar. In most of those acrticles from a year ago, the nvidia provided better quality and the ati was faster, but who knows now...Also, with cuda out longer than stream it appears more software apps have adopted cuda (of course some have both). And that doesn't even get into opencl discussions...? I just dont know which route to go and without gaming some of the latest graphics cards might be overkill. Maybe I am better off putting my $ towards a new mb and cpu with 2 cores/4 threads or 4 cores/ 8 threads?
m
l
May 12, 2010 8:17:31 PM

Im interested in this too but was put off by the articles about it. Alot of people said the quality was poor between both companies. Seems theres a few companies that developed their own gpu encoders which supposedly perform better than ati's (know more about ATI since that's what I was looking for) free version.

TBH for work and GPGPU work I would go with nvidia with cuda. Cuda seems to be more agressively pushed
m
l
!