Core i7, 4gb RAM...but XP 32-bit

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Hi All

Having issues with Excel 2007 on Windows XP 32-bit

It is leaking memory (I presume).

I have 3.5gb available, and an 8gb Page file sat on my SSD.

I have set /PAE and /3GB on the boot.ini

Excel will never try and use more than 1gb RAM before crashing out of memory.

If I run on windows 7, the macro works on an atom with 1gb memory installed.

What can I do to stop this...can I force excel to use the 3.5gb available (or at least 2gb) ?

Thanks!

I really hate office 2007/2010, find an old copy of 2003.

If you can't, have you updated excel 2007?

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Hi

I am using more than 65,536 rows! So have to use 2007+

I think it was an update that caused the issue. Was working fine for 2 weeks

Then failed partially. Then each succesive try it would fail sooner, like RAM was being munched

Set everything correctly, /PAE /3GB and cleared page file on restart, disabled startup progs. Just keeps bombing out due to bad memory management

Core i7 can't handle with 4gb RAM...but an atom doesn't even struggle (using win 7) with 2GB RAM.

So def XP and config ruining my day

Is there any way to force excel to use higher amount of RAM. Looking at prefs, it uses about 950mb RAM + some page file before overloading. But i have 3.5gb RAM available

Thought with multi thread I could tweak it?

Thoughts?

just for curiosity, I opened a Excel 2007 on my O-L-D XP Pro SP3 (P4 2.66GHz CPU w/2GB of RAM); I use it for a home fax server. Opened also on a Win 7 Pro x64 6GB.

XLSX (file size 187,384 KB ; RAM 402,088 KB ; 166,641 Rows by A~GQ)

Next I ran some Summary, Average, Count, Row Shifts, etc -- granted it took a while w/P4 no leaks on either system.

My assumption is a corruption with Office; if you ever ran a Trail Version over 2003 then later installed a Full Version chances are a corruption in Office.

If it were 'me' {PITA} uninstall Office then manually delete ALL of the Office files:
*1. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office
*2. C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft ** All Office Folders
3. Use a registry App like CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner ** Use only the registry fix tab
4. Restart
5. Reinstall
6. Update

*You can try to omit steps 1 & 2 and try the 'Repair': (Office icon) / Excel Options / Diagnose

...Also, yeah it could be from a bad Add-In:
(Office icon) / Excel Options / Add-Ins ; change 'Manage:' to COM Add-ins ; click Go
Uncheck ALL of the Add-ins and restart

Next, your AV {Anti-Virus} might be the cause; try disabling temporarily with a 'clean' spread sheet.

Lastly, try MSCONFIG -> Select Diagnostic ; restart

---

This is all in an effort to find the cause of the problem(s).

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Euro tool...you mean the Euro add-in....it's already inactive (as are all add-ins)

It won't work on any of the machines in the office

Trying to import 35mb XML file crashes them all. Thinking an XP update or office update is to blame. Worked without a hitch for 2 weeks, then started failing

I have tried it on 3 machines with the same config

The XML files are fine, they work on win 7?

Some points:

First of all, it sounds like a glitch in your software. Things to try:

1) set your boot.ini to normal. don't use the PAE option

2) set the Pagefile managment to System controlled (or whatever the term is)

3) ensure all Microsoft updates are done

If you still have problems:
1) reinstall OFFICE (then get all updates)

You shouldn't have to do anything fancy to get things running stable.

Other:
- run Memtest for at least two hours http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

My BOOT.INI on XP looks nothing like the example; you MUST make certain that the partition {location} matches-up to where XP is installed.

My XP BOOT.INI =

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft XP Professional" /nonexecute=optin /fastdetect

using the Advanced Options {3GB = 3078}; there's no option for PAE, and MAXMEM is useless:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft XP Professional" /nonexecute=optin /fastdetect / [strike]maxmem=3078[/strike]

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb613473(v=vs.85).aspx
"The /3GB switch makes a full 3 GB of virtual address space available to applications and reduces the amount available to the system to 1 GB. On Windows Server 2003, the amount of address space available to applications can be adjusted by setting the /USERVA switch in Boot.ini to a value between 2048 and 3072, which increases the amount of address space available to the system. This can help maintain overall system performance when the application requires more than 2 GB but less than 3 GB of address space."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316739
So my take is, but I've got a feeling in XP Pro 32-bit leave this alone.
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft XP Professional" /nonexecute=optin /fastdetect / 3GB / Userva=2900

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Here is my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /PAE /3GB

So there is no way to configure how Excel uses RAM e.g. use RAM before page file, use up to 2gb RAM etc

It crashes out before even 1gb of real memory has been used, all while importing an XML file (even if this succeeds may subsequently crash as memory is not released)

mdsiu

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

+1

Try letting windows manage your paging file as well to see if that helps.

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Hmmm...not sure what setup they have here.

My install is windows XP prof and then when I login think it is all managed by server 2003.

I can still change registry etc. What local changes would I need to make / how ?

Ok.

1- The process for change the Kernel is on Spanish, I'm translating to English at this moment, but keep in mind that is you don't the the steps in the proper way you will need a clean installation of your OS.
2- I think that your 8GB page file on a SSD plus XP 32 bits and 3.5GB available are a problem, Did you try with a lower page file? or more better, what process are running in your rig while your try to do the work that you want?

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
The only process that fails is the import of a 30mb XML file (and generating schema)

Works on win 7, not XP.

RAM hardly utilised, page file not huge. Just fails unexpectedly

If I import as read only workbook (instead of table) I get error but will show the values.

Worked great for 2 weeks, even using 70mb files. Now not so great :/

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
No updates installed, system doesn't allow it. Let me speak with the admin. This network server prevents updates, even from within excel

Unless there is an MS update file a can download?

I can edit registry, run exe, install programs etc but cannot run updates over network

I have my doubts about the 'PAE' in the BOOT.INI as you've listed. I would rule-out the PAE and first try the 'defaults' as I've listed:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft XP Professional" /nonexecute=optin /fastdetect

If possible, update Office to SP2 -> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=b444bf18-79ea-46c6-8a81-9db49b4ab6e5 this avoids the 'Windows Update' but it depends how your Admin locks-down your PC.