Asus Crosshair IV NB Temperature

JulianSidewind

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Hi everyone,

I just built my first computer and I'm curious about the temperature on the northbridge. According to ProbeII, it's the highest temperature on the motherboard. It idles at around 62°C which seems high to me for idle. Now, I am quite new at this, so is that normal for an idle temperature? A friend of mine has this same motherboard and CPU, but uses a 3rd party CPU cooler and his NB temperature is (if i remember correctly) about 10°C lower than mine, and his is slightly overclocked. Will the CPU cooler quality affect the NB temperature?

Also, my southbridge was at 40°C and jumped to 69°C for maybe one polling cycle, my computer alarmed and warned me, and then the temperature dropped back down to 40°C the next. Is sudden spikes in temperature normal? I cant see how it's physically possible.

Here's the hardware(all running at stock speeds, except video card which comes factory overclocked):

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 w/ stock CPU cooler
RAM: 4Gb Patriot Extreme Performance Viper II Sector 5 Series (6-6-6-20)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5770 XXX
PSU: Corsair TX Series 850W
Case: HAF 932
HDD: 40Gb Intel X25-V, 1Tb WD Caviar Black 64Mb
CD Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST

Thanks!

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
That seems high to me, but if it's working it shouldn't be a big deal.

I also have a Crosshair IV, and I've heard that a number of people have had trouble with the standoffs for the northbridge being the wrong height. You might want to google "Crosshair IV northbridge temperature" and see what

One of the options is to RMA the board if it really is overheating. The other option would be to remove the northbridge & southbridge heat sinks and see if the standoffs match in size. If the northbridge standoffs are longer, you could file them down to match the southbridge standoffs. Doing so may void your warranty, so it may not be worth it unless you're experiencing problems.