hurry plz: best camera???

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 16, 2004 6:24:19 PM

I need to know what is best sub-$1000 digital SLR camera. I've heard
people say, "get this one, has better lens," but other people say, "no
get this one it has better image processor," and yet others say, "this
one's too slow, this one's too fast, get this one," blah blah blah.

I am not a photographer. But I am fussy what the pics look like. I have
read the newsgroups and reviews, but most I have read are from a few
months ago.... I am hoping a kind person may please let me know what is
best to buy this week (December 2004).

Thanks!

More about : hurry plz camera

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 6:24:20 PM

Westcoast Sheri <sheri_deb88@nospamun8nospam.com> writes:
> I need to know what is best sub-$1000 digital SLR camera. I've heard
> people say, "get this one, has better lens," but other people say, "no
> get this one it has better image processor," and yet others say, "this
> one's too slow, this one's too fast, get this one," blah blah blah.
>
> I am not a photographer. But I am fussy what the pics look like.

Then buy any friggin sub $1000 camera you find in the Digital SLR
category at your favorite on line store and no one will burden you
with those pesky facts or details, you impatient, demanding, west
coast pain in the ass.

My midwestern sensibilities tell me to apologize now, and suggest the
Canon EOS Digital Rebel with the kit lens available here with the kit
lens and a nice big 1GB card:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

"Westcoast Sheri" <sheri_deb88@nospamun8nospam.com> wrote in message
>I need to know what is best sub-$1000 digital SLR camera. I've heard
> people say, "get this one, has better lens," but other people say, "no
> get this one it has better image processor," and yet others say, "this
> one's too slow, this one's too fast, get this one," blah blah blah.
>
> I am not a photographer. But I am fussy what the pics look like. I have
> read the newsgroups and reviews, but most I have read are from a few
> months ago.... I am hoping a kind person may please let me know what is
> best to buy this week (December 2004).

I bought a Canon Rebel/300D about two weeks ago at Ritz Camera Online.
Here is the URL:
http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Pro...

After Rebate you are just under $1000.

So far I like the camera a lot. If you're like me a Digital SLR newbie,
then there's lots to learn but so far it's been easy. I've real a lot of
posts and reviews that give this camera high ratings for a sub 1K SLR. You
may also want to look into the Nikon D70. I haven't used it but it also
gets high reviews.

I bought the Canon because my wife has the film version and we plan to share
Lenses and other accessories.

--

Rob
Related resources

At this point in time you really have only two choices. The Canon Digital
Rebel or the Nikon D70. Both will give you outstanding images. But the
consensus is that the Nikon D70 will give you many more options for your
money.

"Westcoast Sheri" <sheri_deb88@nospamun8nospam.com> wrote in message
> I need to know what is best sub-$1000 digital SLR camera. I've heard
> people say, "get this one, has better lens," but other people say, "no
> get this one it has better image processor," and yet others say, "this
> one's too slow, this one's too fast, get this one," blah blah blah.
>
> I am not a photographer. But I am fussy what the pics look like. I have
> read the newsgroups and reviews, but most I have read are from a few
> months ago.... I am hoping a kind person may please let me know what is
> best to buy this week (December 2004).
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 6:24:21 PM

"Rainy" <golfcouple@comcast.net> writes:

> At this point in time you really have only two choices. The Canon Digital
> Rebel or the Nikon D70. Both will give you outstanding images. But the
> consensus is that the Nikon D70 will give you many more options for your
> money.

Ummm, the last time I checked, the D70 with lens was $1,200 or $1,300, which is
out of the price range for the original poster (though there is a $100 rebate
going on). Two other DSLRs in the $1k class are the Olympus EVOLT (US
name)/E300 (worldwide name) that started shipping and the Pentex *stDS (I'm not
sure if it is shipping or not) are $999 manufacturers suggested retail price
including lens. However, note that as a rule, DSLRs do not come with memory
cards, and if you absolutely need everything to be under $1,000, the Canon
Digital Rebel (USA name)/KISS (Japan name)/300D (everywhere else) is likely to
be your only option. It is expected that Canon will release a replacement in
February, so the cost cutting is in effect to clear out the shelves, including
a rebate.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

The "best one" is found at your local (real) camera store that has
knowledgeable staff available to ask the right questions so they cab advise
you on what's right for you.

Bob S.

"Westcoast Sheri" <sheri_deb88@nospamun8nospam.com> wrote in message
> I need to know what is best sub-$1000 digital SLR camera. I've heard
> people say, "get this one, has better lens," but other people say, "no
> get this one it has better image processor," and yet others say, "this
> one's too slow, this one's too fast, get this one," blah blah blah.
>
> I am not a photographer. But I am fussy what the pics look like. I have
> read the newsgroups and reviews, but most I have read are from a few
> months ago.... I am hoping a kind person may please let me know what is
> best to buy this week (December 2004).
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 6:51:40 PM

Westcoast Sheri wrote:
> I need to know what is best sub-$1000 digital SLR camera. I've heard
> people say, "get this one, has better lens," but other people say, "no
> get this one it has better image processor," and yet others say, "this
> one's too slow, this one's too fast, get this one," blah blah blah.

If money is critical, then a DSLR may not be the best choice. Different
cameras tend to be more suited to different photographic needs - what do
you intend to photograph and where?

David
December 16, 2004 7:12:44 PM

Westcoast Sheri <sheri_deb88@nospamun8nospam.com> wrote in

> I am hoping a kind person may please let me know what is
> best to buy this week

Given your criteria and budget, it probably doesn't really matter. Just go
to a store and get the one that feels best. At the $1000 price point, they
are all good performers.

Bob
December 16, 2004 8:35:24 PM

But the Rebel will give you the better picture. Less noise, more options.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Rainy" <golfcouple@comcast.net> wrote in message
> At this point in time you really have only two choices. The Canon Digital
> Rebel or the Nikon D70. Both will give you outstanding images. But the
> consensus is that the Nikon D70 will give you many more options for your
> money.
>

> "Westcoast Sheri" <sheri_deb88@nospamun8nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I need to know what is best sub-$1000 digital SLR camera. I've heard
> > people say, "get this one, has better lens," but other people say, "no
> > get this one it has better image processor," and yet others say, "this
> > one's too slow, this one's too fast, get this one," blah blah blah.
> >
> > I am not a photographer. But I am fussy what the pics look like. I have
> > read the newsgroups and reviews, but most I have read are from a few
> > months ago.... I am hoping a kind person may please let me know what is
> > best to buy this week (December 2004).
> >
> > Thanks!

December 16, 2004 8:35:25 PM

What planet do you live on?

"Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> But the Rebel will give you the better picture. Less noise, more options.
>
> --
> http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
> home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
> The Improved Links Pages are at
> A sample chapter from "Haight-Ashbury" is at
>
> "Rainy" <golfcouple@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > At this point in time you really have only two choices. The Canon
Digital
> > Rebel or the Nikon D70. Both will give you outstanding images. But the
> > consensus is that the Nikon D70 will give you many more options for your
> > money.
> >

> > "Westcoast Sheri" <sheri_deb88@nospamun8nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > I need to know what is best sub-$1000 digital SLR camera. I've heard
> > > people say, "get this one, has better lens," but other people say, "no
> > > get this one it has better image processor," and yet others say, "this
> > > one's too slow, this one's too fast, get this one," blah blah blah.
> > >
> > > I am not a photographer. But I am fussy what the pics look like. I
have
> > > read the newsgroups and reviews, but most I have read are from a few
> > > months ago.... I am hoping a kind person may please let me know what
is
> > > best to buy this week (December 2004).
> > >
> > > Thanks!

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 9:02:42 PM

BobS wrote:

> The "best one" is found at your local (real) camera store that has
> knowledgeable staff available to ask the right questions so they cab advise
> you on what's right for you.
>
> Bob S.
>
> "Westcoast Sheri" <sheri_deb88@nospamun8nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I need to know what is best sub-$1000 digital SLR camera. I've heard
> > people say, "get this one, has better lens," but other people say, "no
> > get this one it has better image processor," and yet others say, "this
> > one's too slow, this one's too fast, get this one," blah blah blah.
> >
> > I am not a photographer. But I am fussy what the pics look like. I have
> > read the newsgroups and reviews, but most I have read are from a few
> > months ago.... I am hoping a kind person may please let me know what is
> > best to buy this week (December 2004).
> >
> > Thanks!

....ouch that hurt ;-)
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 10:45:14 PM

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:32:30 -0500, "Rainy" <golfcouple@comcast.net>
wrote:

>"Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> But the Rebel will give you the better picture. Less noise, more options.
>
>What planet do you live on?

He lives on the planet Canonense, far, far away.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

> What planet do you live on?
>
> "Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> > But the Rebel will give you the better picture. Less noise, more
options.

Where the hell do you two idiots come from with all this top-posting, which
make the thread virtually impossible to read?
That's quite apart from the idiot with the 6 line assholish sig - in replies
no less.
December 17, 2004 2:23:58 AM

The planet where people look at the pictures that come from teh camera
instead of the printed specs.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
The Improved Links Pages are at

"Rainy" <golfcouple@comcast.net> wrote in message
> What planet do you live on?
>
> "Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> > But the Rebel will give you the better picture. Less noise, more
options.

> > --
> > http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
> > home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
> > The Improved Links Pages are at
> > http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/links/mlinks00.html
> > A sample chapter from "Haight-Ashbury" is at
> > http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/writ/hait/hatitl.html
> >
> > "Rainy" <golfcouple@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > At this point in time you really have only two choices. The Canon
> Digital
> > > Rebel or the Nikon D70. Both will give you outstanding images. But the
> > > consensus is that the Nikon D70 will give you many more options for
your
> > > money.
> > >

> > > "Westcoast Sheri" <sheri_deb88@nospamun8nospam.com> wrote in message

> have
> is

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 2:33:57 AM

Westcoast Sheri <sheri_deb88@nospamun8nospam.com> writes:

> I need to know what is best sub-$1000 digital SLR camera. I've heard
> people say, "get this one, has better lens," but other people say, "no
> get this one it has better image processor," and yet others say, "this
> one's too slow, this one's too fast, get this one," blah blah blah.

You'd be wanting the new Zorki Digital. Available by mail order from
many stores in the back of most camera magazines.

Cheers,

December 17, 2004 4:57:36 AM

Sorry... I was in a rush when I posted that and I wasn't trying to be short
with you. Your question left a lot of room for explanation that I'm sure
many of the other posts are attempting to answer and that I haven't read
yet. Like yourself, I had questions about some point-'n-shoot cameras that
I asked here about a week ago but at least I narrowed down the choices and
was asking about particular models.

Your question was wide open and will take a lot of input from you to try to
determine exactly what will suit your needs and budget. There is literally
over a hundred (maybe more) camera choices out there that will be contenders
based on your question - see www.dpreview.com as a starter.

Visiting a local camera store, if you can, would be a wise thing to do since
you could get some hands-on with a few brands to see how they fit and feel
to you. Look at features that may or may not be suitable or useful to you
and -------- well, you can see where this is headed - lot's of questions. I
doubt that anyone could say with any confidence that there is one camera
that is the best to buy - as you said "this week". Even the photo mags
can't review every camera - just look at the holes in the reviews for the
Canon models - which I just bought 3 of for Xmas gifts this year. I could
not find a review on the a85 and the review on the a95 only mentions some
similarities between the two but not the real differences. It wasn't until
I visited the local camera store where I could try both, ask questions,
compare against Fugi, Nikon, Pentax and Oly cameras that I was comfortable
in knowing that both the Canon a85 and a95 were good fits for what I wanted
to purchase. Two a95's and one a85 later and a bag of accessory's and my
Xmas shopping was nearly done....but I digress.

There are many knowledgeable people in this group that will give you the
benefit of their experiences with many different models and makes of
cameras - and then there are others that can only relay their one
experience. Both are valuable inputs but you can't truly evaluate their
usefulness until you try the camera - hopefully before you make a purchase
and not afterwards when it may be to late.

Hope this was more helpful this time around.

Bob S.

> BobS wrote:
>
> > The "best one" is found at your local (real) camera store that has
> > knowledgeable staff available to ask the right questions so they cab
advise
> > you on what's right for you.
> >
> > Bob S.
> >
> > "Westcoast Sheri" <sheri_deb88@nospamun8nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > I need to know what is best sub-$1000 digital SLR camera. I've heard
> > > people say, "get this one, has better lens," but other people say, "no
> > > get this one it has better image processor," and yet others say, "this
> > > one's too slow, this one's too fast, get this one," blah blah blah.
> > >
> > > I am not a photographer. But I am fussy what the pics look like. I
have
> > > read the newsgroups and reviews, but most I have read are from a few
> > > months ago.... I am hoping a kind person may please let me know what
is
> > > best to buy this week (December 2004).
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >

> ...ouch that hurt ;-)

December 17, 2004 5:06:30 AM

Correction... there are not hundreds of digital SLR's to choose from, I was
thinking point 'n shoot models when I said that. There is still an amazing
array of choices for DSLRS though and mind-boggling choices for lenses and
accessories.

Sorry for any confusion I may have added,

Bob S.

and here come the flame throwers......;-)
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 11:46:17 PM

"Rainy" <golfcouple@comcast.net> wrote in message
> At this point in time you really have only two choices. The Canon Digital
> Rebel or the Nikon D70. Both will give you outstanding images. But the
> consensus is that the Nikon D70 will give you many more options for your
> money.

I'm sure both of the above are very good choices, but since the op told us
nothing about price range or what he expects to do with it, it's hardly
possible to supply a menaingful answer.
Dave Cohen

> "Westcoast Sheri" <sheri_deb88@nospamun8nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I need to know what is best sub-$1000 digital SLR camera. I've heard
>> people say, "get this one, has better lens," but other people say, "no
>> get this one it has better image processor," and yet others say, "this
>> one's too slow, this one's too fast, get this one," blah blah blah.
>>
>> I am not a photographer. But I am fussy what the pics look like. I have
>> read the newsgroups and reviews, but most I have read are from a few
>> months ago.... I am hoping a kind person may please let me know what is
>> best to buy this week (December 2004).
>>
>> Thanks!

December 18, 2004 11:46:18 PM

"Dave Cohen" <dave@example.net> wrote in
[...]

> I'm sure both of the above are very good choices, but since the op
> told us nothing about price range or what he expects to do with it,
> it's hardly possible to supply a menaingful answer.
> Dave Cohen
>>
>> "Westcoast Sheri" <sheri_deb88@nospamun8nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> I need to know what is best sub-$1000 digital SLR camera. I've heard

Hi Dave,

You even quoted the OP, where she specifies "sub-$1000." She also says she
isn't a photographer, which probably means a simple to use camera would be
preferable to a complicated one.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply