Computer Won't Boot-up

nexuslotus

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I have purchased and installed additional 6MB of RAM (3x2MB) which are identical models of 6MB(3x2MB) I already had installed and working properly. After the installation, I boot up the computer, OS detected correct amount of physical memory installed at 12MB. Second time, I boot up my computer, OS only detects 8MB and never detects 12MB again.

I have not done any modifications to my BIOS for all my hardwares installed in my system, so there was absolutely no tweaking or overclocking done to my system at all. I, then, went into the BIOS, and changed the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage settings from "Auto" to "1.65V" hoping that would make the OS to start detecting correct amount of physical memory installed.

Since then, my computer powers up but won't boot up or display any messages and my monitor only shows "NO SIGNAL". I doubt that any of my hardware is damaged but before I test my hardware components, is there a way to set my BIOS settings back to default? I can't access BIOS because my computer is not getting any signal from boot.

I believe removing CMOS Battery does not reset BIOS settings anymore for motherboards manafactured in today's market. So what are my bets and options? Should I have changed any jumper settings before changing QPI/DRAM Core Voltage value? What did I do wrong?

I'm a beginner especially in tweaking area.

Please HELP!! Please refer to my profile for the hardware components I have in my system.

I assume that you have components as listed above ^. If you are not setting the DRAM Frequency then you are overvolting your RAM. While the system is shutdown and plugged-in press and hold the Clear CMOS button {next to the purple PS/2 @ the I/O shield.

Next, open the case press and hold the MemOK until the DRAM LED starts blinking; it will take a few seconds 20~30 seconds for the rig to restart.

If that fails then pull the NEW RAM and try again.