No recognition of my formatted hard drive

icecad11

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Hi All:

I took out my hard drive and had it formatted. When installing Win 7 I determined that my drive is not recognized. I checked the SATA cables and have tried partitioning but the drive just does not show up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
First check your BIOS.
Either the drive is not being autodetected, or the SATA controller could be set incorrectly.
Check the jumper cables. Sometimes you will need to select 1.5 GBs SATA as 3.0 is not being supported properly by the board.
Last time i had this issue with windows 7 it was a bad SATA cable.

icecad11

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Thanks for the info but I think that the jumper are for IDE drives. I may be wrong. I was teaching my grandson on this and he connected the SAPA drive both from the back as well as from the side which I believe is for a second hard drive. Do you think he accidentally fried the drive?

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

Well it's to early to answer that but to quote phil22:

"The definitive test for a "suspect" hard drive is to use purpose-made diagnostic software from the drive manufacturer. Since Fujitsu don't appear to have any such software, you can use "Seagate SeaTools" (DOS version recommended, just in case there's a compatibility issue with Windows 8 & it crashes out). Click "Downloads" on this page: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ "

This was his answer to me for my issue with a drive that is passing SMART testing and once the manufacturer's device test is complete i will have a definitive answer. I was able to find a utility specific for my drive (a toshiba) if you know what model yours is you can use a utility from the manufacturer or go with phil22's advice with the SeaTools. (Not too sure how seagate feels about non customers using their bandwidth and utility)