Sign in with
Your question

Non-US Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2010 7:56:20 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as the build is definitive

BUDGET RANGE: 3500-4000 RON = 1000-1200 USD (1 USD = 3.34 RON) (keep in mind that the actual value of a dollar differs too)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, watching movies up to 1080p, surfing the internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: emag.ro / evomag.ro (emag.ro preferred for its better delivery service)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Romania

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024

PARTS:
Case Antec Miditower VSK-2000
HDD Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB, 7200rpm, 16MB, SATA2 - I have extra external storage
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3.0GHz
Memory Kit Dual Channel Kingston 4GB, DDR2, 800 Mhz
PSU Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W, ATX2.2
DVD Writer LG GH22NS40, SATA
Keyboard + Mouse Microsoft Desktop 700, USB
Monitor LCD Samsung 943N, 19''
Motherboard Asus P5QL-PRO
Graphics Card Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5750, 1024MB

I'm not going for new arhitectures like an i5 CPU and DDR3 RAM because I'm making the system so that its performance is as close as possible to another existing system. I realize that future upgradability would also require a motherboard change, and it's not an issue given that I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

I'm not exactly sure how much of an overkill the PSU is, but I deemed any extra wattage worth it.

The only component I'm unsure about is the Graphics Card. I've looked for a card that could keep a steady 30 fps in any game at 1280x1024, but I'm unsure if a GTS 250 1GB could suit me just as well, disregarding the DirectX 11 capabilities of the HD 5750.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

If anyone's up for looking through the pages provided, the translation for the cathegories are:

Componente PC = PC Components
Procesoare= Processors/CPUs
Placi video = Graphic Cards
Placi de baza = Motherboards
Carcase = Cases
Memorii = Memory
Surse = Power Supplies
Unitati optice = Optical Disc Recorder
Periferice = Peripherals
Tastaturi = Keyboards

Images and universal component names may help, and hopefully filters are easily understandable, but if more translations are needed feel free to ask.

I'm aware that helping someone through sites in a foreign language requires more patience than normal, and I appreciate any suggestions or advice given about the build. Alternatively, you can use English sites for components suggestions and I'll see if they're available myself, it's completely fine by me.

More about : gaming build

June 19, 2010 8:11:19 PM

Thanks for the translation key, it helps a lot.

I would suggest dropping the PSU down to a 500-550W unit, you could do 2 5870s in CF on a 750W unit, if you only plan on running a single GPU a 520W unit like the Seasonic S12II saves you 120 RON.
http://www.emag.ro/surse/sursa-seasonic-s12ii-520-bronz...

The 5750 will be plenty to run games at at least 30FPS at that resolution, its about as strong as a 4850 and mine is able to play things on high at that resolution at better than 60FPS usually.
June 22, 2010 12:56:04 PM

Thanks a lot, actual performance of the GPU is good to know. And I calculated the PSU wattage I need from all of the sites suggested in stickied threads on these forums, and whatever else I've found, having added extra future external and internal storage as power consumers, but I'll check on the total needed wattage some more.

If anyone else has any suggestions or advice, they're welcome, it'll still be a few days before I buy the components.
Related resources
June 22, 2010 1:44:14 PM
June 22, 2010 2:46:26 PM

I highly appreciate your system suggestion and taking the time to build it, and will take it into consideration.

But

You should distinguish between offering help and offering opinions regardless of the help needed. I'm well aware that the components in your build may be superior technologically, and I understand why you've suggested them, and you've even brought the price down substantially. But I cannot use most of your suggestions because, as I've said above, I'm limited by the fact that I'm building a system similar to an already existing one.

Having said that, the monitor may be small by your standards, but it's more than enough for me right now, the video card has plenty of power for what I'm looking for, and there may be no new technology made for LGA 775, but by the time I'll see a need to upgrade my system, your suggested socket may very well be "dead" as well.

I am not writing this in ill will, and hopefully you are not reading it as such either. Once again, thank you for your help.
June 22, 2010 3:35:28 PM

dirk101 said:
I'm limited by the fact that I'm building a system similar to an already existing one.

I didn't understand the need to do that so I ignored it, sorry.

dirk101 said:
Having said that, the monitor may be small by your standards, but it's more than enough for me right now

You said you want to watch movies "up to 1080p". That 19" is the worst monitor you can get. The movies are widescreen and not only you'll have to watch them on a small monitor but also lose some of your screen (black bands up and down) so it will be more like a 17" wide.

dirk101 said:
by the time I'll see a need to upgrade my system, your suggested socket may very well be "dead" as well.

If you're planning to keep your system for a long time that's one more reason to get a new socket, a quad and DDR3. Especially for gaming, newer games require 4 cores.

Anyway, here's some RAM with heatsink:

http://www.emag.ro/memorii/kit-memorie-dual-channel-mus...

http://www.emag.ro/memorii/kit-memorie-team-elite-4gb-2...

Better case if it fits the budget:

http://www.emag.ro/carcase/carcasa-akasa-freedom-xone-a...

Some other monitor (still not very good for movies but much better):

http://www.emag.ro/monitoare_lcd/monitor-lcd-benq-g2020...

dirk101 said:
I am not writing this in ill will, and hopefully you are not reading it as such either. Once again, thank you for your help.

Nici o problema.
June 22, 2010 7:37:24 PM

mai bine mergi pe ce spune mosox , combinatia AMD-ATI este mai buna pt budget build decat Intel , si eu imi fac un pc exact cu ce bani ai tu si iti spun ca obti performante mai mari decat daca ai merge cu Intel and sory for not using english , hope its not a problem
June 22, 2010 7:53:32 PM

It's a forum for everyone, and everyone's supposed to understand what you're writing. That's why the language used is usually a rule on English forums, so please keep it to English. And I am very aware of superior technology to the one I've chosen, which would give me increased performance, I can make such a build myself, but this is not the case now. Please keep the posts on-topic with the issues that I initially inquired about.
June 22, 2010 8:04:18 PM

ok , ok , go with intel , but u should get a 5830 its a bit more money but u will get more fps and u said u got 34-40 so u should afford it
!