External hard drive hasn't been recognized on any computer I plug it into.

Ali90eng

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Hello,
Hey guys, my external hard drive took about a four foot spill a couple of weeks back, and ever since it hasn't been recognized on any computer I plug it into. It is a USB 2.0 external hard drive. I tried using different USB ports, different USB cables, and even a different AC adapter. Also, I removed the hard drive from its enclosure, removed the SATA to USB converter and connected it via SATA in a desktop all to no avail. The hard drive itself does not make any strange noises. It starts up and sounds just as it did when it functioned properly. Therefore, I do not believe there is a stiction fault or that the PCB is to blame. I recently discovered the small fortune it costs to have hard drive recovery services take a stab at recovering the data from a busted drive, and I don't want to spend that kind of money to recover my data if I don't have to. Still, I'm out of ideas, and the last thing I can think of is opening the hard drive myself and taking my chances to see what the issue is. If you guys have any recommendations whatsoever, they are greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

brlllsetst

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Well, actully you don't have to spend any money to buy a data recovery software. I have recently found a freeware on the web by which I recovered all my lost data. Maybe it will help you too. You can download it on this page: http://freeware-recovery.blogspot. [...] overy.html
It is very handy and simple. I did not spent much time in recovery. The page you open will tell you how to do step by step. Click your mouse and let it handle the hassle.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First and most important advice: DO NOT OPEN THE DRIVE!!! The interior MUST be kept completely dust-free. Opening it will likely cause it to fail completely!

As brillsetst said, you can get free data recovery software - check other posts around here for other suggestions. But before you do, you need to check whether you have a hardware problem first.

1. With drive installed, boot directly into BIOS Setup and check whether the HDD is detected correctly. If not, you do have a significant hardware problem and no data recovery software will solve that.

2. If the BIOS can "see" the HDD properly, check which manufacturer made the HDD - not the entire system, just the HDD unit from inside. Go to that maker's website and find / download their free diagnostic utility software. For example, WD has Data LifeGuard, and Seagate has Seatools; others have their own. Use these suites to test your HDD. Each usually has safe tools to test your HDD for faults that do NOT endanger the data on them, BUT they also have tools to repair things that MAY write to the HDD and destroy data. If they might destroy any existing data, they will warn you and ask for permission to proceed. So watch the messages as you do this!

3. If the diagnostics tell you there is a hardware problem on the HDD, write down the message and the error code. Then call the maker's Tech Support line with this and seek their advice.

4. If the diagnostics say there is NO hardware problem, now is the time to look at data recovery software. Most of these work by finding the files and allowing you to COPY them ALL to a second spare drive with enough empty space. So you need that extra HDD to so this. AFTER you've copied the data safely, you can work on "fixing" the drive (usually, just wiping it clean and re-Partitioning and Formatting), then using the recovery software to restore all the copied data back to it.

nicor63

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Hi brlllsetst !
I red your post, since I have the exact same problem.... :( , but the url you suggested doesn't exist..!
Could you just tell me which program is, so I can google it..!!