Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
May 12, 2010 11:23:16 PM

Hey guys,

My friend just upgraded his gpu from an Nvidia 7800 GTX to a new Sapphire Radeon 5830 1 gb. OS is Windows 7 64 bit. He is running an AMD 5200 or 6400+ X2 64 processor on this motherboard -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
On booting the computer after upgrading the card, however, there is no display at all. The fan spins, so he's getting power in some regard, but still no signal. Tried all the different display ports, different monitors, etc. Tried installing ATI graphics drivers first, then installing the new card, also tried updating/flashing BIOS, all to no avail. Also, he doesn't think it's booting into windows because the disk drive doesn't attempt to load something off of a cd, and there is no Windows 7 "log on" sound that there usually would be, so we're fairly sure it isn't completing the boot process. Any ideas as to what we can try? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

More about : upgrade radeon 5830 black screen boot

May 13, 2010 12:08:37 AM

Alright, for anyone that may ask this problem in the future, the problem most likely lies in the fact that the nforce4 northbridge chipset has been having trouble with the 5xxx series cards. From what I've heard, the best thing to do is skip right up to an AM2+ mobo that will still run this processor, however the other fix is a beta BIOS version from Gigabyte that supposedly solves the issue. The only problem is that the latest dated driver on the Gigabyte website comes from 2008, before the 5000 series cards were even out, I believe. So, this BIOS version must come directly from them, I suppose.
m
l
June 12, 2010 4:57:36 PM

Currently experiencing something very similar to this. Father is upgrading his gpu in an HP (no idea what MB) to a Sapphire Radeon HD5830. The power supply has been upgraded and the card is plugged in. I know Windows 7 is booting up as I can shut the PC down after a few mins by using the windows key + arrows for the menu path. I have tried two monitors, one with HDMI and the other with DVI. Both monitors know when they have been unplugged from the card because they will state that they have lost a signal. Any ideas?
m
l
a c 1648 U Graphics card
June 12, 2010 5:14:00 PM

First of all you should open a new thread instead of posting in an old one!
If the installation of the card was done properly, removal old GPU in device manager/shut down/install the new card/start up and install drivers, there is a possibility that running driver sweeper to clean out remnants of old driver would help. If that does not work then either the 5830 card is incompatible with the system or the card is faulty.
m
l