Go with cheap SSD for now primarily for OS in gaming build?

dnbman

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012
I'm brand new to all things building. Putting a gaming system together and definitely want SSD for the OS and programs.

I'm considering either the OCZ Vertex 4 or Samsung 830, both 128GB.

However, I'm wondering if SSD memory will go down in price quickly like USB drives did 10 years ago.

Would I be better off getting a cheaper SSD (Say, Kingston) at 60 GBs (Will run Win 7 64bit, and a handful of programs. Maybe Photoshop. Otherwise, I do everything on the web.) for my current purposes and add another SSD in a year from now?

Solution
With the price of some 120GB SSDs (around $60-80), don't bother with a 60GB drive. I'm telling you, that space goes quick. Standard OS (Vista or 7) takes 30GB, another 15GB for Office, and the remainder just vanishes. Your average MMO takes 20GB.

So unless you're running Linux, I recommend NOT going with 60. I do recommend SSD, however. It will be the best speed boost you can get shy of upgrading CPU and a major video card upgrade.

jackattack923

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
60 GB will be plenty. I got an m4 Crucial at my local Micro Center for $62.99. I'd probably wouldn't spend too much more than that.

The SSD will make faster loading times on everything. It really won't (from my understanding) make games necessarily faster, with exception of startup and I believe few loading levels. However, I put Photoshop and OS on mine, works flawlessly.

Hope that helps.

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
First I would go with a 120+ GB model, because 60 GB limits you with the normal use of Windows and some apps, also Photoshops likes to use the SSD as a scratch disk. Pagefile, hibernation-file all need space. The performance increased so much in the last years that you don't need to wait another year. Just go with a good drive which serve's you well today and tommorrow.
I have a Samsung 830 and can recommend it, it is not really, but this gave them time to finally fix possible errors.

Lanessar

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
With the price of some 120GB SSDs (around $60-80), don't bother with a 60GB drive. I'm telling you, that space goes quick. Standard OS (Vista or 7) takes 30GB, another 15GB for Office, and the remainder just vanishes. Your average MMO takes 20GB.

So unless you're running Linux, I recommend NOT going with 60. I do recommend SSD, however. It will be the best speed boost you can get shy of upgrading CPU and a major video card upgrade.

Solution

dnbman

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012

I picked up the 128GB SSD.

I actually hate the fact that I have to get Windows. I've been using Ubuntu now for a few years and love it.

I'm building a Windows machine for games. However, I may get a second cheap 60GB SSD for a Linux dual boot.