New Build - Stability #1 priority

MatrixNEU

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hi Folks.
I have recently decided that I would like to build a new system (mostly from scratch). My current system was based off of a gigabyte p35c-ds3r mobo, which i've had nothing but problems with. I bought it because it was unique in that it supported both ddr2 and ddr3 memory, something I thought would be useful in the future. However, I have had all kinds of problems with the board because of the memory bus. Lesson: Don't buy on the absolute cutting edge. I don't know hardware as well as I did 3 years ago, so I'm hoping that Toms can help me pick out a system based on this. the I have just graduated college, and frankly dont have the time or the inclination to game like I used to. However, I still want my system to be able to game at 1680x1050 on Medium-High res for the next two or three years.

My budget is around 600$, and I already have a case, Monitor, Speakers, power supply and DVD player (unless the mobo doesnt have an IDE connector, in which case I will need one). I have no interest in overclocking or crossfire/SLI or anything like that. I have no preference for AMD or Intel, but I would prefer an Nvidia card for linux support (dual boot Ubuntu/Windows XP). I really don't want any parts (particularly the mobo) that are two weeks old and on Revision 1.0 like my current Mobo is.