RAID 0 in unusual manners?

Currently I have 2 120GB SSDs in RAID 0 on my board's Intel SATA 6 controllers. Is it possible to RAID 0 the 2 Intel ports with the 3rd paty SATA 6 ports (board has 2 Intel, and 2 Marvell SATA 6 ports)? Motherboard is Asus P9X79 Pro

I would be using 4 SSDs, all being the same if the case.

Would this result in a big performance increase if possible? or would the Marvell controller degrade the performance?

Also, would switching from 2 SATA 6 SSDs in RAID 0 to 4 SATA 3 SSDs in RAID 0 net any performance gain?

Theoretically, no, as the interface speed of both is the same. But, a single SSD usually cant even reach half the speed of the SATA 6 port, depending on the SSD (OCZ Vertex 3's in this case).

I'm not concerned with redundancy as i have mechanical HDDs with backups for my data.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about raid unusual manners
  1. In the short term you would have alot of performance. But because you lose TRIM support when you raid, over the long term performance will suffer.
  2. Tyrannosaur25 said:
    Is it possible to RAID 0 the 2 Intel ports with the 3rd paty SATA 6 ports (board has 2 Intel, and 2 Marvell SATA 6 ports)?

No, it is not possible.

When you go into the Intel RAID BIOS (Ctrl-I) to create a RAID array you will only be able to chose drives connected to any of the 6 Intel ports.

When you go into the Marvell RAID BIOS (Ctrl-M) to create a RAID array you will only be able to chose drives connected to the 2 Marvell ports.

You can only have 4 drives in RAID-0 if they are connected to the Intel ports.
    If you do that your array's Read/Write performance will be limited to 3Gb/s speeds, and your maximum theoretical Read/Write performance will be 1.2GB/s.

Unless you're using your system for video editing, or working with large databases, you won't notice any real-world performance difference going from 2 drives to 4 drives in RAID-0.
  3. ok, cool. I didnt think i could RAID 0 the Intel and Marvell ports.

I know the real-world difference are so minor, I just want as much speed as possible lol. I do some video editing, but most of it is written to internal HDDs.

Thanks for the replies. appreciate it :)
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Performance SSD SATA Intel Storage