Sign in with
Your question

RAID 0 in unusual manners?

Last response: in Storage
August 13, 2012 2:48:16 AM

Currently I have 2 120GB SSDs in RAID 0 on my board's Intel SATA 6 controllers. Is it possible to RAID 0 the 2 Intel ports with the 3rd paty SATA 6 ports (board has 2 Intel, and 2 Marvell SATA 6 ports)? Motherboard is Asus P9X79 Pro

I would be using 4 SSDs, all being the same if the case.

Would this result in a big performance increase if possible? or would the Marvell controller degrade the performance?

Also, would switching from 2 SATA 6 SSDs in RAID 0 to 4 SATA 3 SSDs in RAID 0 net any performance gain?

Theoretically, no, as the interface speed of both is the same. But, a single SSD usually cant even reach half the speed of the SATA 6 port, depending on the SSD (OCZ Vertex 3's in this case).

I'm not concerned with redundancy as i have mechanical HDDs with backups for my data.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

More about : raid unusual manners

August 13, 2012 2:57:37 AM

In the short term you would have alot of performance. But because you lose TRIM support when you raid, over the long term performance will suffer.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 529 G Storage
August 13, 2012 4:25:12 AM

Tyrannosaur25 said:
Is it possible to RAID 0 the 2 Intel ports with the 3rd paty SATA 6 ports (board has 2 Intel, and 2 Marvell SATA 6 ports)?

No, it is not possible.

When you go into the Intel RAID BIOS (Ctrl-I) to create a RAID array you will only be able to chose drives connected to any of the 6 Intel ports.

When you go into the Marvell RAID BIOS (Ctrl-M) to create a RAID array you will only be able to chose drives connected to the 2 Marvell ports.

You can only have 4 drives in RAID-0 if they are connected to the Intel ports.
If you do that your array's Read/Write performance will be limited to 3Gb/s speeds, and your maximum theoretical Read/Write performance will be 1.2GB/s.

Unless you're using your system for video editing, or working with large databases, you won't notice any real-world performance difference going from 2 drives to 4 drives in RAID-0.
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:41:43 AM

ok, cool. I didnt think i could RAID 0 the Intel and Marvell ports.

I know the real-world difference are so minor, I just want as much speed as possible lol. I do some video editing, but most of it is written to internal HDDs.

Thanks for the replies. appreciate it :) 
m
l
!