~$1000 Gaming for college!

Bloodylegend

Distinguished
May 15, 2010
This is an option between my parents an I to get a netbook for class and a gaming desktop for my room instead of a expensive gaming laptop thats to big to big to run around with... Ideas for other options at college would be great

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This Summer
BUDGET RANGE: Circa $1000 after rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, school, Movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: EVGA GPU and MOBO with the pulsing E! INTEL, I like the HAF 932(but may need somthing smaller for school and home and back)

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: N/a

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I wanna have a RAID 0 set up if possible for speed!

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
If your budget is 1000 then its perfectly possible to get both a gaming/movies pc, and a netbook.

Speaking as someone who was in your predicament, I would suggest a gaming pc and a netbook.

Don't get a gaming laptop, you will regret it

*edit

A05N would be a good case for a dorm room (provided you add a 'blowhole' to the top)

Also, what resolution do you plan on using?

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Ha, thought the case might fit well in a dorm room, forget some people like bright lights and whatnot on their computers.

And the resolution might help someone else out about video cards (meaning you wouldn't need anything more than a 5850 if that)

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Ha that was exactly why I suggested the case I did. My freshman year roommate had lots of lights on his rig, and it was one of the most annoying things about him.

Obviously we ended up being friends so I could just make fun of him about it, but....