Sign in with
Your question

Have I bought the wrong HDD? :S

Last response: in Storage
August 13, 2012 4:37:31 AM

I built a new PC last month, and it's for music production, that I wanted to be stable..
I spent a lot of money on the harddrive that will be holding my projects: 500GB Western Digital RE4 ( WD5003ABYX)
Now, this month, I'm going to buy another drive to hold samples, backups, and other misc. stuff..
So I searched around online, and found that some people wrote that you SHOULDN'T get the RE4 unless you run at least two of them in raid..
I chose the WD RE4 because of the 5 year warranty + it's made for 24/7 use.. I keep my music-pc running all the time basically..
So..
Have I've got the wrong drive?

I considered getting the 500GB Caviar Black, it costs less than the RE4 500GB..
The 1TB Caviar Black costs more than the RE4 1TB..
Should I be worried about keeping my projects on the single RE4 500GB...?
Should I get the Caviar Black now, and make that my storage for projects, and make the RE4 for misc. storage+backups...?

More about : bought wrong hdd

a b G Storage
August 13, 2012 4:52:26 AM

RE4 is an enterprise class HDD line from Western Digital. If it were me I would get whichever is cheaper. The WD Caviar Black and the RE4 are similar in warranty and performance.
August 13, 2012 4:52:38 AM

Meh Keep the one your using for your primary and just get the 1TB for your extra storage. It's not going to matter a whole lot if you are running in RAID or not.
Related resources
August 13, 2012 4:54:37 AM

Yeah like what iknowhowtofixit said.
a b G Storage
August 13, 2012 5:05:34 AM

ForHerDeadEyes said:
Thanks for the replies!
Found the qoute that got me worried, on the WD forum (found it on another forum initially)..
http://community.wdc.com/t5/Other-Internal-Drives/Weste...
Still unsure if it's a good drive to record audio too.. :S

It should be fine. If you are getting errors, in general, the drive needs to be replaced. Use a tool like speedfan to check the HDD S.M.A.R.T. data to see if you are getting any errors and check the overall "health" of any HDD that has SMART enabled.
August 13, 2012 5:18:46 AM

iknowhowtofixit said:
It should be fine. If you are getting errors, in general, the drive needs to be replaced. Use a tool like speedfan to check the HDD S.M.A.R.T. data to see if you are getting any errors and check the overall "health" of any HDD that has SMART enabled.

Good to know, no errors so far..

500GB Caviar Black - 91€

500GB RE4 - 107€

1TB RE4 - 127€

1TB Caviar Black - 130€

The Misc. storage drive will be fairly static, just switch out backups from time to time.. so maybe the RE4 would be better with this..
And I can get a Caviar Black for audio recording + projects..

I am probably unnecessary worried, I've only had one drive fail on me since having a PC, and that was a 2GB drive that hadn't been used for 10 years..
The rest of the drives have worked great for many, many years..
!