CPU reseating nightmare

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Never actually reseated a CPU before. Anyways, I have an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro which I'm trying to reseat and I can't seem to fasten it to the motherboard. I'm pushing down on the plastic pin and turning it to the right to tighten it, and the pins don't seem to be fastening to the motherboard. It sounds so easy, but for me it seems complicated.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I have a Core 2 Quad Q9550, btw.

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Okay I put the pins facing inwards, pushed down, but I didn't hear a click. I was pushing pretty hard. I was told you don't need to remove your motherboard to do this. One of the pins got bent so I straightened it out with a pair of pliers. I did take the motherboard out though. Not sure if that made it any easier though.

asus x48

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
place a sm plastic bowl upside down with a dry spong under the mobo off the case so not to break it as you push down on it. in that way you can see if you got the job done. it worked for me. as always i thank you good luck to you sir.

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008

Nope, heatsink still won't seat itself. Pushpins keep getting bent. Bah, think I'm just going to buy a new heatsink. One without pushpins. In fact, I might have someone do it for me. I bought this computer from a local shop and they built it for me, so I might just take it to the experts.