Unable to complete windows 7 ultimate installation

sking

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I have attempted several times to install windows on to my larger hard drive recently purchased. I just formatted the drive again and installed from the windows 7 disc. When it finishes copying files, and the machine reboots, there are 4 options for which installation of windows! (i.e. drop down on boot up) The one on the top is the most recently installed, and when you go into it I am stared at by a blank screen. The same thing happens with the other 2 choices in the menu. My working installation of windows is on the smaller drive and I can get into this. I formatted the larger drive with disc management tools from the smaller drive. How can I remove the extra choices in the bootup menu? Will windows complete it's installation once I do this?

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Did you delete the partition then create a new one and then format? it sounds like the MBR isnt getting formatted.

If you have an old windows 9x disk laying around you can boot into DOS mode and fdisk /mbr, if you have an old XP disk, boot from that and try using it to delete the drive and recreate it.

If Windows install cant get it working, keep us posted, there are plenty of options available.