Video Editing PC - First Build Ever - $5,000 Budget

Hello Everyone,

This is my first ever build, I will be editing a lot of footage on Adobe Premiere and After Effects. I will eventually get quadro cards for this system and my main priority is to future proof as much as possible.

Please comment on the build, I will be air cooling for now then moving onto water cooling in the future. Also when I hit the big one I will make a real workstation PC with dual Xeons and make this my gaming PC, but for now this will do.

Title: Super Kickass Air Cooling Machine? What? Air cooling?

Budget: $5,000...No need for monitor, mouse, keyboard, sound card, router.

Case: LIAN LI PC-P80 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD9 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 XL ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU: EVGA 015-P3-1482-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI

PSU: SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CPU: Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor Model BX80613I7980X

Heatsink: Lapped Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste: IC-7 Diamond

SSD OS/APPS: Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

RAM: 2 Sets of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)

HDD: 2 in raid 5 - Storage Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Blu-ray: Pioneer Black Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer SATA Model

Lightscribe: PLEXTOR 24X DVD/CD Writer Black SATA Model PX-880SA LightScribe Support

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

Random: Kingston FCR-HS219/1 19-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader

Cords: Nippon Labs Premium 6 ft. HDMI to mini HDMI cable with metal hood & gold-plated connectors Model MHDMI-6

Thermal Remover: Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier

SSD Mount: LIAN LI HD-321 Internal 2.5" HDD / SSD Mounting Kit

Accessories: COOLMAX ThumbScrew SILV 10PK Thumb Screw (10 screws in a bag), SILVER Anodized

Fans: Antec SpotCool 0761345-75018-9 Blue LED Case Fan

Accessories 2: LIAN LI PT-CL01 Cable-management Kit

Fan Controller: Scythe KQ01-BK-3.5 "KAZE Q" Fan Controller

Questions:

1. How is the support on the Gigabyte UD9?

2. Does the UD9 NB overheat?

3. I am really worried about the Noctua colliding with the ram or the optional Gigabyte heatsink for the NB....

4. I can't find any info on where I can add more fans to my Lian Li...

5. If I were to find fans, which 120mm and 140mm fans do you suggest?
10 answers Last reply
More about video editing build budget
  1. HDD: For RAID 5 you'll need at least 3 HDD. And 5 HDD (500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 or Seagate Barracuda 7200.11) should probably outperform 3 WD 1.5TB Caviar Blacks.
  2. 1. Average.
    2. Not in an adequately cooled case which you have.
    3. NewEgg customer comments indicate the HSF clears the Ripjas RAM modules.
    4. Extra fans won't be required. 5 is plenty for any case and the aluminum case itself helps transfer heat out of the case.
    5. N/A
  3. Alright cool.

As for motherboards, I was looking at the Evga SR-2, for around the same price you sure get a lot of options to expand for the future. I guess my main concern is the lack of owners (obviously since it's so expensive) which means I will get less help when I run into some problems.
  4. Another Question on RAM:

If I am loading up all 6 dimms with ripjaws, with they be clocked at 1600 Mhz not 2,000 mhz? If this is the case, should I go with 1600 mhz memory with lower cas like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226124
  5. Added 4 Samsung Spinpoints for raid 5, 1 TB for video editing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
  6. If your ultimate goal is a full fledged dual socket workstation it's worth thinking about starting out with the EV2 and building up to that point vs. building two different systems a few months apart. Any longer wait between systems and you'll probably be looking at newer hardware options anyway. Just keep in mind the price differences in the Xeon hex-core CPUs.

I don't get too excited over the triple channel RAM differences between 1600/2000 and latency ratings.
    Any Cas 6 or 7 DDR3 1600 would be fine. G.Skill PI or Mushkin Redline for example.
  7. Just looked at some new thermal pastes, this Indigo Xtreme sticker like application is getting great temps.
  8. That is a nuclear reactor of a PSU that you do not even close to need unless you plan on running 3 x 480s.

With that budget buy a full retail Windows 7. That way you have no problems when you upgrade.
  9. Yeah the PSU is a waste, also you should get the $550 I7, get the ee if you are going to overclock on water, save some funds and get a 800W PSU. Also you might looking into getting a Quadro for your video editing.
  10. anort3 said:
    That is a nuclear reactor of a PSU that you do not even close to need unless you plan on running 3 x 480s.

With that budget buy a full retail Windows 7. That way you have no problems when you upgrade.

True not now, But for the future if I do go WC and 3 way SLI. Which is also the point of the build is to future proof as much as possible.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product