I was hoping i didn't run into any problems...

THAVICIOUS1

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Good Evening Ladies & Gents
Well i unlocked the fourth core, i ran into a big problem... a lil SOB named BSOD..
I don't know what went wrong i have to switch to 3 cores everytime, if i don't
my pc will restart like crazy. This is so depressing and i wanted a quad core for so long.
Is it because i am not pushing enough power? i am using my Antec Truepower II 550
from 4 years ago. Okay here is the details about my core.

Code:
Model
Brand 	AMD
Processors Type 	Desktop
Series 	Athlon II X3
Model 	ADX425WFGIBOX
CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type 	Socket AM3
Tech Spec
Core 	Rana
Multi-Core 	Triple-Core
Name 	Athlon II X3 425
Operating Frequency 	2.7GHz
Hyper Transports 	4000MHz
L2 Cache 	3 x 512KB
Manufacturing Tech 	45 nm
64 bit Support 	Yes
Hyper-Transport Support 	Yes
Virtualization Technology Support 	Yes
Thermal Design Power 	95W

And these are my computer specs hopefully you guys can understand my post hopefully i have it detailed enough!

Code:
RAM: 4GB Corsair RAM
HDD(s): 1: 1TB Western Digital HDD HDD 2: Western Digital 500GB HDD 3: Seagate 300GB HDD
...Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Motherboard: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO (ATI Crossfire board)
Processor: AMD Athlon II 2.7GHZ triple core processor
Soundcard: Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music
Power Supply: Antec Truepower II 550 Watts SLI/Crossfire Certified
Heatsink: Zalman CNPS 7500 Cu LED 110mm (Blue LED)

Timop

Distinguished
Its probably because the fourth core on that Athlon X3 is defective like its supposed to be, if you really wanted a quad, you shouldn't got one.

For now, if you want try putting a little bit more voltage n the CPU and see if it becomes stable.

THAVICIOUS1

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

So you suggest that i should raise the voltage then try to run 4 cores?

Thats what he said :)
I agree though with his other comment, unlocking cores is not guaranteed and I've been lucky, 2 for 2 so far, but if I had my heart set on a quad, I'd have bought quads,
try raising the voltage, tiny increments at a time, dont just jump up a whole volt :)
but resign yourself to the possibility that its not a locked quad,
you can still oc the three cores you do have though :)
Moto

Timop

Distinguished

Only if you want to, over-volting a processor may cause the CPU to malfunction and no longer work all toghether (but then you can buy a shiny new quad lol).

In some cases, a little extra voltage stabilizes the dormant core and will allow you to run it as a quad.

THAVICIOUS1

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Thanks for the help guys still no luck, oh well i can always just buy a quad core, they are inexpensive but i probably have to upgrade my power supply before i can go any further, and which AMD Quad Core's you recommend for my board that will work without problems.

THAVICIOUS1

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

Yeah i'll check on it, thats okay bro i am sure i can just get a Quadcore its gonna be crazy though trying to take off my Zalman heatsink
wish it was like my old one on my socket 939 board where i could just screw it in.

Athlon II x4 630 Is that a 3Ghz or more core? Cause i would love to get it if it is around that range! :D I'm like Mr. Tim Allen
Mooooorrreee powwer!!

The Athlon II X4 630 is a 2.8GHz CPU.. You can easily pull out another 200 MHz out of it i guess giving you a 3.0 GHz of clock speed happiness.. Btw, AMD has slashed prices on its various CPU's recently.. You can get a Phenom II X4 955 (3.2 GHz) for 145$

THAVICIOUS1

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

Wow that's cheap!! Hmm i might try and get that one day before they become discontinued.