thinkpad 600x and wireless network card - PCMCIA or CardBus?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
October 25, 2004 11:47:24 AM

I believe the Thinkpad 600X is CardBus enabled (can anyone confirm
this?).
I am just about to go wireless broadband so want to put a wireless
network card in it and have been looking at NetGear WG511 amongst
others. However I see there are PCMCIA and CardBus ones - I am led to
believe that PCMCIA is 16bit and CardBus is 32-bit - and that
therefore CardBus is better / faster.
Can anyone confirm what I've said or am I confused?
Thnks in advance..... :-)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 25, 2004 2:07:15 PM

"Richard" <richard_fisher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I believe the Thinkpad 600X is CardBus enabled (can anyone confirm
> this?).
> I am just about to go wireless broadband so want to put a wireless
> network card in it and have been looking at NetGear WG511 amongst
> others. However I see there are PCMCIA and CardBus ones - I am led to
> believe that PCMCIA is 16bit and CardBus is 32-bit - and that
> therefore CardBus is better / faster.
> Can anyone confirm what I've said or am I confused?
> Thnks in advance..... :-)

Open device manager, PCMCIA devices. Cardbus compatible is usually
noted in the controller titles. Google "thinkpad 600x cardbus"
indicates that it is cardbus compatible. Cardbus in laptops became
pretty much standard in the PIIMMX era, 1997. AFIK, there are no 16-bit
wireless cards.

a b D Laptop
October 25, 2004 8:29:27 PM

Just out of interest what O/S are you using?
if it is XP do you have any problems with your audio drivers?
cheers
"Richard" <richard_fisher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I believe the Thinkpad 600X is CardBus enabled (can anyone confirm
> this?).
> I am just about to go wireless broadband so want to put a wireless
> network card in it and have been looking at NetGear WG511 amongst
> others. However I see there are PCMCIA and CardBus ones - I am led to
> believe that PCMCIA is 16bit and CardBus is 32-bit - and that
> therefore CardBus is better / faster.
> Can anyone confirm what I've said or am I confused?
> Thnks in advance..... :-)
a b D Laptop
October 25, 2004 8:47:21 PM

Q- [Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:07:15 -0600]:
>pretty much standard in the PIIMMX era, 1997. AFIK, there are no 16-bit
>wireless cards.

Orinoco silver/gold, one among many. Newer ones are
likely 32-bit, but the old 802.11b ones are 16-bit.
All Compact Flash radios are 16-bit (and fit a PCMCIA
slot with a simple adapter). The CFs are typically
3.3V and the PCMCIAs 5V.

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs

On 25 Oct 2004 07:47:24 -0700, richard_fisher@hotmail.com (Richard) wrote:

>I believe the Thinkpad 600X is CardBus enabled (can anyone confirm
>this?).

Yep, according to IBM's web site. I own one, but wasn't sure, so I looked. :)

--
Catherine Hampton <ariel@spambouncer.org>
Home Page * <http://www.devsite.org/&gt;

(Please use this address for replies -- the address in my header is a
spam trap.)
!