Is it OK to put a micro ATX mobo into a mid tower ATX case

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
When I do my new Sandy Bridge build, is it OK to put a micro ATX mobo into my old mid tower ATX case?

Not necessarily that I'm going to do this, but I may. I'm probably going for a regular ATX mobo just for possible future expansion.

Will it make any difference? Does it matter? Are micro ATX mobos any faster than regular ATX mobos?

I'm not a gamer, just a "regular" "ordinary" internet surfer and business (financial trading) user. But I do love high speed. I want it NOW!

Thanks all.

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
microATX and ATX are just physical size standards, there have very little bearing on any sort of speed. The only fact is that smaller boards naturally have a lot less expansion slots, mostly a single PCI/PCI-E x1 and 1 PCI-E x16. Compared to an ATX board with maybe 3 PCI-E x16 and 3 PCI/PCI-E x1.

I believe ATX compatible cases are mATX compatible and will be fine fitting them in.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Micro ATX is smaller usually than as Mid Tower Case, and you have more room to work in the PC Case than having a baby shuttle case or one of those portable ones! Nice to have small hands to reach in their and hook up the wiring without get your hands scratched! ATX is compatable with ATX/ITX is compabtible with ITX or BTX/BTX.

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I'm using an mATX board in my mid-tower case. As evilgenius said, mATX boards usually don't have as many expansion slots as compared to ATX.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Well they measure up at 9.6 by 9.6 or the ones with most expo slots 9.6x12.6 You have the option of USB3.0 nowadays if building a comp so that helps with less PCI-E slots or some stuff is embedded on Mainboard to help out!

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Thanks GBT. Good point about the USB3 slots. As I said in my current build, I'm only using 2 slots anyway and one of those is the sound card.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Thanks Kilo,

I know that the mATX boards have less slots. I'm only using 2 slots right now anyway.

Do you think the mATX mounting holes would line up in my CoolerMaster Centurion 5CAC case? I would think so. It would just leave more air space around the mATX board.

I don't know what I'm going to buy right now anyway and newegg is sold out of most of the Asus P67 boards anyway for right now. I can wait. I still may go with a regular ATX mobo.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Thanks EG. I don't know which direction I will go mobo wise right now. I'm not in a hurry and I can wait for a regular ATX board. I don't know if it's worth it to save a few bucks on a mATX mobo anyway.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

From newegg:

"The enclosure is compatible with both ATX and Micro-ATX motherboards."

So you will be all set -- ATX/Micro-ATX compatibility is very common among consumer mid-tower cases.

Great choice -- a lot of people have given the P8P67 board high marks, particularly the P8P67 Pro, which I plan to buy in a few months.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Thanks fullo, like they say, in case of doubt, always read the instuctions that came with your euipment. Duh. Thanks again. I'll probably go with a regular ATX mobo when I get ready.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

You're right Stank, it's always important to get lined up with the right hole.